The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
coptersteve

Laser Cast 200 gr lrn with Clays

Hello, i've been reloading for about a year now. I was using 230gr. XTP/HP with titegroup, because that was all that was all I could find. Recently I bought some Oregon Trail 200 gr lrn. My first loads were with 4.2 gr titegroup, the stuff shot so dirty that the cartridges quit feeding. A quick wipe down of the feedramp and magazine and it fed fine again. I only loaded 16 rounds. I read on a thread on this forum that some guys like clays with lead bullets. So I bought a pound of clays. Loaded another 16 rounds. 3.7 grains, OAL 1.260. The length is straight from Oregon trails information line. 3.7 grains is from Hogdons reload data. Any opinion about these loads? Anyone else loading these bullets for their .45 acp?

Thanks for any info.

Coptersteve
Old July 14, 2010, 04:24 PM   #2
TheGreatDane

I just tested out 100 rounds with 3.6gr of Clays on 200gr lead. It shot exceptionally clean and was accurate enough for plinkin. I found it to be a bit weak, though I didn't experience any failures.

This time I loaded up 4.1gr but haven't been able to test just yet. I'm looking for about 900 fps.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3
coptersteve

Clays and 200 grain lrn

Thanks TheGreatDane,

I was beginning to think no one had shot these loads, although this forum is where I heard about this combination. I'm going out this weekend to shoot my 17 HMR and I'm going to shoot my 16 rounds of Clays and Ore. trail bullits. My Taurus PT945SS likes starter loads, so I think this will be interesting. Thanks again.

Coptersteve