The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 21, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
maestro pistolero

Loaded, Open carry in Yosemite?

Doesn't CA law permit LOC under certain conditions related to open, unincorporated areas with low population centers?
Old May 21, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
ArmedInNOR-CAL

This is a touchy subject with a lot of in and outs. You need to contact the forest service they have the best info on areas in and around parks and forest area. If its a state park most likely you cant carry. National forest you can but certain areas might be leased by people and then it falls under their discretion. Fish and game or forest service are your best bets for finding the info on gun laws on the land you wish to carry on.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:07 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

Thanks. Sounds like another discretionary nightmare.
Old May 21, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

It's a National Park, so carrying there will fall under the new regulations under discussion in this thread, about the amendment to that effect that's stuck onto the credit card reform bill. The gist is that once these regulations go into effect (if they ever do -- sigh...) possession and transportation of firearms in National Parks will be under whatever laws apply in the state where the park is located. So whatever you can legally do in CA as a whole, you'll get to do in YNP. And what you can't, you still won't be able to...

Until the new regs take effect, current National Park rules apply in Yosemite, which, I believe, are basically that you have to keep them locked up and unloaded...

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 21, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Inserted the missing word.
Old May 21, 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

Quote:
So whatever you can legally do in CA as a whole, you'll get to do in YNP. And what you can't, you still won't be able to...
That's my understanding as well, thus the question about CA law, since it may be the controlling force there.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

And as to LOC in "open, unincorporated areas with low population centers," if you believe what the Grymster says about Yosemite in that other thread, you're probably SOL:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymster2007
... the place is so crowded I don't think there's room to draw anyway.

Actually, it's an interesting question whether a National Park would count as "unincorporated." I have no clue.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
grymster2007

I'm not gonna look it up, but I believe Yosemite is in Mariposa county: Population - something less than 20K. CA law goes something like - counties with population under 200K, open carry OK in un-incorporated areas that allow open carry. I think in excess of 10K people visit Yosemite per day, so I stick by my original claim that there's not enough elbow room to draw anyway.... at least if your in the valley.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:10 AM   #8
maestro pistolero

Quote:
so I stick by my original claim that there's not enough elbow room to draw anyway.... at least if your in the valley.
How much elbow room do you need to draw?

I never understand people who spend their whole time in the valley. 100s of thousands of acres of paradise without a soul around if you go 30 minutes off the beaten path.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; May 22, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:44 AM   #9
ArmedInNOR-CAL

I'm sticking to Mendicino National Forest. You can carry, hunt, and shoot just for the hell of it as long as your 150yds from any posted campsite! Thank god theres still some places left in California where you can have a fun day of shooting and enjoying outdoors without someone ******* on your day!
Old May 22, 2009, 12:24 PM   #10
grymster2007

Quote:
I'm sticking to Mendicino National Forest.
I hear ya. Nice as Yosemite is, I find it too crowded and I'm too fat to hike far enough out to have the "elbow room" I require to draw.

Glad you like Mendocino, because I laid claim to Plumas National Forest a long time ago.

Quote:
How much elbow room do you need to draw?
My elbows are fat too.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:09 PM   #11
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I hear ya. Nice as Yosemite is, I find it too crowded and I'm too fat to hike far enough out to have the "elbow room" I require to draw.
No matter where you are, if you have to 'draw' I'm sure you'll make do with whatever elbow room is available!