The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1
hellmut275

New to reloading

I am in need of some simple advice. I am brand-spanking-new to reloading and I plan on getting started with a single stage press. I only plan on loading maybe a couple thousand rounds a year, mostly in .45 LC, 45/70, and 30/06. At, least to start out. Basically, from my research, I am considering the Rockchucker Supreme Press vs. Hornady LNL. Money is not the biggest issue. Accuracy, ease of use, and practicality are the primary concerns. Any advice here will be greatly appreciated!
Old September 23, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Lavid2002

If your only loading that many rounds a year I would start out with a single stage press. Its easier for beginners, Simple, Cheaper, and just as effective. I myself bought a kit for 94 bucks! A lee single stage press. Came with powder scale, charger, Funnel, large and small rifle priming system, and I got a couple of die sets, a tumbler, and a way to trim my casings and called it a deal! Now I reload about 2,000 a year and this kit is MORE than enough for me. Heres a pic of my setup. LEt me give you just one word of dvice though. The lee dies are great, and come with great warranties. But Hornady has been good to me as well...and there dies seem to be a bit better. Sure there not as shiny But they lock into place via the locking lug with its nifty allen screw that can tighten it into place. Just browse around and do your research it pays....and for shnits and giggle Heres my bench.
OH yeah! dont forget youneed to buy a bench too. All in all you should be able to afford three kits that you want to buy because in the end the price shoots up
*equipment
*books
*and the most important thing that I forgot to tke into account, I said oh 200 lets buy this tumbler this kit etc...YOU NEED THE RELOADING MATERIALS TOO! lol bullets, powder, casings, and primers.

have fun and be safe
-Daveh
Old September 23, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

I have owned RCBS for years and have never had any trouble with it, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

Most trouble with new stuff is getting it set up right to start with. Must have good solid work bench, and follow dye set up instructions carefully. Use good lube, and don't over lube your brass.

If you have never loaded before, I would find someone who has been doing it for a while, and get some input from them. It is not brain surgery, but can become a problem when you first start out. Once you establish a good loading procedure, you won't have any trouble with it.
Old September 23, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
hellmut275

Reply...

Thank ya kindly gentlemen...ever since I have been looking into this I have had a lot of great insiders and pointers. It looks like there's a lot to do to get started but once you do it's fun (and never-ending!) I am going to get the basics and then find a local veteran to walk me through a few. Again, thanks!
Old September 23, 2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
Money is not the biggest issue. Accuracy, ease of use, and practicality are the primary concerns.
Definitely go single stage. If you really like the pretty green stuff, an RCBS Rock Chucker will still be rolling when the kids of your Grandkids unearth it. I use the Lee Classic Cast and in my opinion, it's nearly as good for less money. But you said that money is taking a back seat to the concerns, so let's look at the other concerns:

Accuracy
The accuracy of your reloads has almost nothing to do with your press, has somewhat to do with your dies, has a heap to do with your case prep and more than anything else is controlled by your technique at the bench. If you want the most accuracy you can get, the most important thing you can do is to measure your powder carefully, prep your cases with the utmost consistency, and stick to an absolute routine overall so that everything is the same, same, same. The only other thing you can do to increase the accuracy of your hand loads is to spend a little money on a quality bullet. Everything else being equal, accuracy will be limited with a cheap, lousy bullet.

Ease of Use
No question, it's a whole heckuva lot easier to start your loading single stage. Progressive presses (like the models from Dillon and the Hornady Lock & Load) are terrific machines for folks who need a lot of ammo or can't stand or can't afford spending a couple of hours at the bench. The great news is that a single stage press doesn't cost much and even if you find yourself looking in to a progressive machine down the road, the single stage is still a very much used tool that will never let you down. For sure, there's going to be enough other tools and accessories that you will need as you find your way in this hobby, a progressive machine is not at all what you need if you want simple, easy and uncomplicated.

Practicality
As I mentioned, a single stage press will always be a tool you will need and can get great use out of no matter how long you've been reloading or what your goals at the bench are. When it comes to a beginner that's learning the process and trying to make decent ammo safely, there's no more practical way to get rolling than a single stage press.

I highly suggest you visit www.midwayusa.com for prices, selection and ideas. They have terrific descriptions on all products, user reviews that help a lot and they'll even suggest other similar items from different manufacturers. For so many more reasons, it's the best all around place to shop for the things that reloaders need.

Good luck and welcome.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:38 PM   #6
DIXIEDOG

The RCBS press is an excellent value that will last for several lifetimes. Even if you purchase a progressive down the road you will still use the RCBS every once in awhile.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:44 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

I assume the OP is talking about the Hornady LNL Classic (single stage), not the LNL AP (progressive). Both the RCBS RC and Hornady LNL classic are available in kits with good quality accessories.

Among single stage presses, a very nice convenience factor is how well they capture the spent primer and debris during decapping. Unfortunately, RCBS and Hornady do not have effective systems to corral the little buggers. Other single stage presses, from the aforementioned Lee Classic Cast, Redding Big BossII and UltraMag, to Forster Co-Ax, all direct the spent primer/debris through the hollow ram, to a bucket or catch bottle, leaving the working area much cleaner.

Another feature of single stage presses is whether and/or which quick change die system it supports. These are not required, but do help make die changes a little easier and quicker. Hornady's system is most popular, and is compatible with RC, Hornady, Lee Classic Cast, Redding Big Boss II & UltraMag presses. The Forster co-ax has it's own snap in/out die retention system. The Lee Breech-lock Challenger press has a system similar to LNL, but only compatible with the breech-lock press.

I have a Forster co-ax and absolutely love it, but if I were just starting out, and not willing to commit to the expense of the co-ax just yet, I would start with the Lee Classic Cast press. It is rugged cast iron, with a steel linkage/toggle that is adjustable for both handle length and throw. And it is cheaper than the others (except BL Challenger). Unfortunately, the LCC is not offered in a reloading kit. The BLC is available in a kit from Lee, with serviceable accessories at a price that is impossible to beat. Starting out with this kit will let you get acquainted with the reloading process and tools, and you can decide which tools you want to upgrade, if any.

Most presses have the ability to prime cases on the press, but hand priming tools are much easier and more convenient to use. I use and like the RCBS Universal Hand primer with the square tray and universal shell holder jaws. Unfortunately, this is not the hand primer they include in their reloading kits. The Lee autoprime hand primer is also very well thought of, and is included in some of Lee's kits, but Lee does not offer a kit built around the LCC press. The autoprime requires specific shell holders for that tool (not compatible with press shell holders), but a whole set of them is pretty inexpensive.

Other tools I use and like:
RCBS quick change Uniflow powder measure (the Uniflow in their RC kit is upgradeable to the quick change model)
L.E. Wilson Case trimmer and shell holders (The Lee system also works very well, is cheap and very easy to use, but is not adjustable).

Andy
Old September 24, 2008, 06:52 PM   #8
flashhole

This is a good way to get started. It's a Lee Classic Turret with the auto-indexing feature. Shown is the set-up I use for 45-70. I use a Lee Dipper Cup as the powder measure (I have a distrust for powder dispensers and charge each one myself). I will usually FL size and prime the case by hand before I put it in the press.

I have other turrets set up for other cartridges. I also like single stage presses, I have two Redding Ultramag presses on the bench but will concede that if you are looking to make ultra accurate ammo there is nothing better than a tight tolerance single stage press. I get good quality ammo out of my Lee Turret.

I cut down an MTM funnel that can be used on other turrets for different cartridges (an unmodified funnel is shown on the right). It's a very handy set up.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 24, 2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Smaug

First off, welcome to The Firing Line.

Second off, check the links in my signature.

Third off, I started with a Rockchucker Supreme Kit. Everything was good, but it was way more money than it needed to be. I now use all Lee equipment, which works just as well and gives a lot more for the money. Today, I use a Lee Classic Cast press. It is actually better than the more expensive Rock Chucker.

If I were starting off at your stage right now, I would go with the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit.

This kit has things that you don't really need to get started in reloading. (but are nice to have) The Lee die sets include a powder dipper and a load sheet, which is a good basic way to get started.

For the necked rifle cases shot from a bolt-action rifle, go with a collet die set; it gives more accurate ammo. It uses the brass that is already fire-formed to your rifle's chamber. If your 30-06 is an automatic, you'll need the full-length die set.

One option that is just excellent for dipping your toe on the reloading waters is to buy a Classic Lee Loader for one caliber. (it is well-suited to necked rifle cartridges) Since it uses a mallet instead of a press, it is noisy, but effective. Google "lee loader" and you'll find one of an older guy using it with great proficiency.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 24, 2008, 10:54 PM   #10
Smaug

Oh yeah, and did you read that sticky post at the top of this forum? There's good info in there too.

Lastly, buy the Lyman reloading book. I've found it to have the least biased load data, and an excellent instructional section. It also has some history and other useful information on each cartridge.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 25, 2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Lilswede1

Been there - still learning

I'm also new to rifle reloading.
I bought the Dillon 550B Progressive on the advice of a buddy who has been handloading for years and wanted to have access to one.
Now as I get into the logistics of loading a consistently accurate round I have purchased a single stage unit which I use for decapping and other functions as they arise.
Here is what I have purchased so far.
The Presses (Dillon 550 and RCBS Single stage)
a. resizing decapping die
b. Powder die (with funnel)
c. Bullet seating die
d. Crimping die

2. Case Trimmer (make sure everything is in it for your calibers)
3. Tumbler (for cleaning brass)
a. Media for tumbler (walnut or corncob)
b. Brass cleaning solution (to add to media for shiny brass)
4. Tools for cleaning primner pocket (optional and not necessary for pistol)
5. Case gauge
6. Neck cleaning brush
7. Dillon Digital Scale
8. Dial Calipers
9. Lyman reloading manual
10. Case lubricant (for resizing station)

And it keeps going on.
If you are shooting for accuracy (rifle) it gets deeper and deeper and you will learn a deal more then you ever thought you would want or need to know.
For me, 2 weeks into loading I have gone from being happy with putting 3 bullets into a 3" bullseye @ 100 yds. to being skeptical about having 4 out of 5 shots touching in a 1" circle at same distance because I think I make a better round.
I get frustrated but keep finding out new and wonderful things about reloading on a daily basis.
This site has given me some great information.
Good luck.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Ben Shepherd

The rcbs press would be the way to go. Nothing wrong with lee stuff either. BUT: If you get a lee press get the cast iron one. I've heard of several of the aluminum ones breaking, and know of 2 of them personally.

I have 2 rcbs presses, a jr, that my dad bought used before I was born(still going strong), and a rockchucker supreme. They both get used for load delvelopment, and when I need to, the rockchucker has no equal for case forming.

I use a dillon 650 for ammo production purposes.

Goes like this: Work up the load on one of the single station presses. Once the load is to my satisfaction, I dial in the dillon and turn out the ammo at a much faster rate.

With a single stage once you're set up and running most folks can produce close to 100 rounds per hour.

One piece of advice:

Do everything in stages. In other words size ALL your cases. Then switch dies and bell/prime them all. Next: Charge all the cases. I use 50 round blocks, and check the powder with a scale on the first, 25th, and 50th cases. Then seat and crimp all your slugs. Done. Seat and crimp as seperate operations will usually result in higher quality ammo with better acuracy.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old September 26, 2008, 12:10 PM   #13
flashhole

You might also look at this link.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49

Are you ready for civil war?