The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 20, 2008, 06:47 PM   #1
BillCA

Correcting S&W's "missed opportunities"

After participating in Mordis' thead what does the future hold for revolvers I thought this thread might be enlightening.

In recent years we've seen S&W bring out modern versions of "classic" revolvers and some "botique" revolvers ordered by distributors. Good examples of both are the J-framed Model 40 with the grip safety and the "snubby" Model 24's and Model 25's as shown below.

Model 40 in case-colored finish

Model 25, 3-inch barrel

While I like the idea of snubby big bore revolvers, to me it seems that S&W "missed the boat" when it comes to a big-bore defensive wheelgun.

Target sights and square butt grips are not the best decisions for a defensive sidearm. Likewise, some of the ultra-light J-frames that have appeared chambered for .357 Magnum are choices only masochists could make with a smile on their faces.

Had S&W done their homework, they would have looked beyond the simple expedient of bobbing the barrels of a 6-inch gun and given customers a true "fighting" big bore snubby.

A fixed sight snubby makes much more sense as the gun is intended primarily for close-range shooting. It also reduces the height of the gun slightly and keeps larger sights from snagging clothing. That gives us something like this;

My Photoshop skills are very limited (as is my software! ). But adding a round-butt profile to this gun would also help reduce it's apparent size.

One of the most popular modifications, circa 1955-65 was to obtain a surplus M1917 and bob the barrel. Yet S&W chose to bring out only the "standard" barrel with no shorter barrel option for a carry gun.

With the advent of the .327 Federal Magnum, I'd like to see S&W re-chamber the Model 65LS in this caliber, perhaps with an alloy or scandium frame for light weight.

The smaller bore size of the .327 mag would not create the same problems that the .357 bore size did and there would be little worry about fractured forcing cones.

For outdoorsmen, the .327 in a clone of the 6-inch Model 19 would be just about ideal too. That'd give you a target version of a hot-rodded .32-20 in a very sweet wheelgun.

Of course, I still hold out hope that S&W will launch a limited production run of stainless steel Model 58's (sans lock) because I'd go into hock to buy two of them.

What "adjustments" would you make to the S&W lineup? And just to simplify matters, let's just presume the elimination of the dreaded lock on your revised models.
Old September 21, 2008, 01:55 PM   #2
batmann

S&W has just come out with exactly what you are describing, fixed sights, round frame and in mulitple calibers and light weight----- Night Guards.
Old September 21, 2008, 02:08 PM   #3
cohoskip

The Night Guard .38 weighs 24 oz - not exactly light weight...

NRA Life Member
Old September 21, 2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Wayward_Son

I'd like to see several new guns in the new .327 cartridge. I like the idea of a six-shot Lady Smith with a 3" barrel to compete with the SP101.

I'd also like to see a six-shot J-frame in both aluminum and scandium, with a Nightguard version available with a front night sight.

I'd also like to see an eight-shot L-frame with 3, 4 and 6" barrels. I'd snatch up a 4" version as a companion to my 4" 686P.

A 3" seven-shot K-frame like a Model 65 or 66 would also be welcome.

Edit: However, I must point out that these aren't S&W shortcomings yet. It's a new cartridge, it hasn't even been out for a year. Now if S&W never makes any of these guns, then I will call those shortcomings. Until then, they're opportunities.