The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
GARYWL

Rem 600

At the risk of starting a heated debate I am in the process of making a "Scout Rifle" out of a Rem 600. The main problem seems to be finding a scope that doesn't look overpoweering on the barreled action. I would like a synthetic with a shorter fore end than stock. This would mean that the sling swivvels, of course, would have to be moved back. Anybody seen such a thing? Yes it is a 308.
Old March 14, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2
mtnboomer

While I will not stop you from doing as you wish with your own guns, I will suggest switching to a Model 7 action instead as unaltered 600 actions are scarce as hen's teeth and nearly as valuable. But I digress.

Good luck finding a synthetic stock for a 600. There are a few out there but they will be pricey and probably not to your complete statisfaction. An appropiately-sized scout scope may also be hard to find - as well as expensive. There aren't very many models available to chose from but you might find something that will suit your taste. Good luck!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old March 15, 2006, 02:43 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

agree

I would keep the model 600 the way it is and buy yourself a decent model 7 or even a SA 700 if it was up to me, but like MtnBommer said, it is up to you. I had a buddy once that had a model 600 in 6mm Rem and he sold it before I could raise the money to get it from him, I would hold onto it myself.

Heck, if you just want a good scout rifle, the model 7 comes configured like you want it in 7mm08. All you need to do is buy a scope mount and scope for it. You can get them with the synthetic stock already on it and be way ahead of the game with the 7mm bullets. Brass is plentiful since the .308 is the parent case. Just a suggestion for you.

I would opt for a Simmons pistol scope like I have that is a 2x7x32mm. I mounted it on a nagant rifle and out to 300 yds, the scope does just fine.
Old March 15, 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
GARYWL

already don

The barreled action has already been played with. The rib has been knocked off leaving some horrible idiot scars on the barrel. The only thing that I would be changing would be the stock. The barrel would be cleaned up and reused and the old stock stored away. As far as long eye relief (forward mounted) scopes go, they do not work real well for me. (eye problems). I have an old Redfield 1.5 to 4 on it now and it works well. I would just like a stock that sets a little farther back exposing more barrel (aesthetics only). The 308 works fine for me.
Old March 15, 2006, 09:22 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

not a problem

Not a problem with that. Most of the time a "Scout" rifle will have a forward mounted scope which is why both of us made the suggestion about them. Theres' nothing that says you can't cut the barrel back nor the stock back some more and move the stud for the sling like you want. Good luck finding the synthetic stock for the 600.