The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1
saands

No room to reload?

Having to relocate to an apartment for a couple of years, I've learned a lot about how to make things work. I was just finishing a short reloading session and it occurred to me as I was putting everything away that a lot of people might see all of the REALLY cool reloading rooms that get splashed around (yes, I too AM envious! ) and just figure that they couldn't possibly get into reloading because they don't have the space. I thought that I would put this out there as an example of what can be done if a person wants to. Below is a pic of my entire reloading setup (and about 40% of my reloading bench!) for 4 calibers. Inside the duffle is the press (Lee Hand Press), dies (9x18, 9x19, 40S&W, 22-250), case trimming tools, powders (4 half pound cans for the pistols and 1 pound-and-a-half can for the rifle), a scale (RCBS 505), a Lee "Not so perfect" Powder Measure, a priming tool for both large and small primers, a 50-round reloading tray, safety glasses, more than 100 pieces of brass for each caliber, roughly 1000 primers, about 600 bullets and a powder trickler.

It's no Dillon Progressive and it is not in the least bit a real reloading shop, but it turns out shootable quantities of quality ammo ... and it stores (and goes) ANYWHERE.

Saands
Old August 3, 2005, 01:31 AM   #2
DECIPLE-OF-KEITH

What a fantastic set up ! I think some time's we get carried away with our reloading areas ! Have been down sizing my area for the las couple of years to try & save space !
Old August 3, 2005, 02:29 AM   #3
Wildalaska

I use a Black ad Decker workmate, holes drilled for press powder measure etc....

WildminimalisgoodAlaska
Old August 3, 2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Olaf

Great setup ! I use a similar arrangement, built around the Lee hand press (a GREAT tool, in my opinion). All of my equipment, as well as powder, primers, bullets and brass will fit into a plastic case....something like an over-sized tackle box. I don't really need the portability....and I NEVER store powder and primers in the same container (or even anywhere close to each other) at home. It is nice to know that I could "go portable", though, if needed. All of my equipment and components get packed away and stored in the closet...for convenience and space efficiency.
Old August 3, 2005, 09:01 AM   #5
LAH

I like that cup.
Old August 3, 2005, 03:08 PM   #6
yorec

I used to have a travel setup similarly based around the Lee Handpress - but I've let it become less organized as I fell to using the stuff for building test loads more at the range or depriming in front of the TV... Never did put primers and powder int it though - they have thier own places of storage. Need to go put it all back in the bag.

Great no space set up.
Old August 3, 2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Dave R

Cool.

Its also nice that it could be part of your "bug out gear."
Old August 4, 2005, 09:16 AM   #8
AAshooter

I think you have missed the concept of concealed carry . . . it is the gun you are supposed to carry concealed, not the reloader!!
Old August 4, 2005, 11:42 AM   #9
saands

The cup was sitting on the table just out of the pic when I noticed the irony in "No Compromises" as this is an extreme example of my willingness to compromise ... but not to capitulate

As for "Concealed carry" ... that was a good one! LOL I should have named the thread that!

Saands
Old September 1, 2005, 09:33 PM   #10
Slateman

Hey, I gave this a bump cus I got a question.

How is that setup working for you? I'm thinking about getting into reloading and but I have a limited amount of space like you. I'm looking to load 10mm like maybe once a month, then shove it in the closet to next month.
Old September 2, 2005, 08:08 AM   #11
Olaf

IMO, the Lee handpress/ portable setup is nearly ideal for those with limited space. I use it primarily because I didn't want to deal with a dedicated bench, as I don't really have a "workshop" or any such dedicated space in my home. It works very well. I only handload 8mm Mauser, but I have had NO difficulties of any kind with getting the job done. All of those people who swore that the handpress would "wear me out"....and that I'd want a bench press soon....were simply wrong. I would imagine that doing straight-walled handgun cases would be even easier than bottle-necked rifle cases. I don't know. In any case, if you are considering getting into handloading, especially a low-volume setup....the handpress is ideal. It is also CHEAP - so, if you wished to "upgrade" later, you would not have much invested in it. Finally, with the handpress, you use standard dies - so again, if you wished to change later, you would have to replace nothing but the press.
Old September 2, 2005, 08:24 PM   #12
rcksil

How Long

Sooo how long does it or would it take to reload 100 rounds of 38 or 45acp ammo?
Old September 2, 2005, 08:41 PM   #13
Edward429451

When I was starved for space, I bolted my Rockchucker press to an apt size table and stowed it in a closet. I could just barely close the door. Set it up on weekends in the LR. I can load 200 rounds in 4 hours on it from scratch so I imagine the Lee would be a bit slower.
Old September 5, 2005, 11:47 PM   #14
saands

I usually prep my cases apart from the day that I reload them, so I don't really have a hard number for throughput from scratch. Getting a powder measure is CRITICAL if you want to get the numbers reasonable, though! I'd say that you can get about 5 ops per minute out of the hand press once it is set up, so resizing (or seating or crimping) usually goes at about a 250-300 per hour kind of rate ... you can use that to figure out how many steps you like to use in your process ... some seat and crimp at one pass ... I choose to do those steps apart ...

Saands