The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 12, 2001, 05:03 PM   #1
beemerb

Cartridge Case ID

Headstamp markings,D at 12 oclock,3 oclock, 87,
6,star,9,11.Case length 1.473,ID case mouth .482
rim dia .585.Straight case,berdan primed.Primer
pocket protrudes from base.I think its euro military but I can't find it in cardridges of the world.
Thanks
Old June 14, 2001, 10:10 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

To me you're describing the firing actuator for an artillery shell, not a small-arms cartridge.

Any chance of posting a pic?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 14, 2001, 10:19 AM   #3
beemerb

Mike here is the picture,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shell.jpg (18.9 KB, 57 views)
Old June 14, 2001, 05:05 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hum...

I'm thinking two things...

1. Artillery primer/actuator.

2. An artillery sub-caliber training device.

I'll do a little searching on the headstamp this evening to see if I can track down the manufacturer.

The star marking tells me that it's Eastern Block, but that's not a given.

Old June 14, 2001, 06:09 PM   #5
hksigwalther

Only thing I can find for a 'D' at 12 o'clock is Gustav Genschow & Co. in Durlach, Germany. Do all of the numbers and letter read in the same direction or are they radial?
Old June 14, 2001, 07:14 PM   #6
beemerb

They are radial.This case was found in a ghost town in southern AZ.
Old June 16, 2001, 01:56 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

I got a look at it this morning. Bob's clock has Roman numerals that are radial. Markings on the case head are clockwise if your clock has Arabic numbers. In other words, they all right side up at the same time.

I lean a little toward seperation. There is quite a bit of powder marking on the outside of the case....was fired in a loose chamber. Still personaly out to lunch on it. Head seperation maby caused by firing in loose chamber plus reload X number of times with mercuric primers and black powder.........OR: was trimmed to fit a short chambered sumpin that would close on the stepped base and the chamber was a tad loose.

The Mauser part easy.....but is it a homemade wildcat, or just came apart in an old, loose, Mexican Mauser. Lot of them in these parts left over from when we were arguing over who's land this is.

Sam
Old June 16, 2001, 02:26 PM   #8
beemerb

Here is drawing of head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head.jpg (30.2 KB, 35 views)
Old June 16, 2001, 03:46 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sam,

That's what's known as "clockface" type numerals, in which no matter what their position around the rim of the case, they show as being in the correct orientation for reading.

Radial would be if, the letters/numbers pointed inwards toward the primer, and to read the case correctly you would have to roll it in a circle in your fingers.

There are, of course, variations, such as half-radial or arc, which is most commonly seen on American commercial.

Half of the headstamp is in an arc above the primer, half of it is in an arc below the primer, and both lines can be read when the case is held in one position.

I need to take some scans of these examples.

Anyway, unfortunatly, my long treatise on this case was lost, but it's definitely a Mauser type A case, the measurements point towards a 11.15x60R Mauser.

Old June 16, 2001, 04:36 PM   #10
C.R.Sam

Mike..re clockface....that what I was tryin to say.

You have mail

sam
Old June 17, 2001, 06:09 PM   #11
Paul B.

I have to gp with C.R. Sam. Looks like a separation.In my copy of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD, it shows an 11.15x60R (.43) Mauser, an 11.15x58R Austrian Werndl M77 and an 11x59R Franch Gras. All three rounds are bottleneck cartridges, but if you remove the neck and shoulder, you get a real close match.
Which of the three? My guess would go with the .43 Mauser. There were a lot of those imported into this country early on, and considering tolerences on some of thosr rifles, if there was in fact a separation right after the beginning of the shoulder, you'd get pretty close to a match.
Just my wild a$$ guess.
Paul B.