The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 11, 2013, 03:30 AM   #1
ProudUSAF

how much can i get?

thinking of selling my smith and wesson m&p 15 sport.

it has a vortex strikefire red dot sight, Mako recoil reducing stock,magpul handguards and foregrip, and mako grip. ive only put about 150 rds through it. how much do you guys think i can get for it? and i still have all the stock parts.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Venom1956

Few Hundred bucks? More then normal given the current panic
I suppose it is all relative to what you want to get out of it and what you paid for it... if you overpaid then obviously it'll be harder to make up what you spent.

Remember unless the person buying wants EXACTLY what you put on it the accessories don't really add to the price. You'd be better off reverting it back to stock and selling it in parts. Also selling the extra mags separately may help.

I'd take the Vortex for the right price
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 11, 2013, 05:16 AM   #3
ProudUSAF

yeah i kept all the stock parts. i only paid like 750 for it. so i got it at a right price. its a great rifle, just dont shoot it very often. i was thinking i could probably get like 1,000 or 1,200 for it.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
L_Killkenny

IME, you can take the value of a gun and add about 50% of the value of the accessories. So if a gun is valued at say $300 (used book) and has $300 in accessories you may be able to get $450 outta it.

But being that it's an AR clone in today's market I'd just return the gun to stock and sell the gun and all it's accessories (seperate) for probably more than you paid for it/them.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

I'm also trying to sell off my assault rifle before Feinstein is properly shouted down and the flurry of panic-buying comes to an end. Though, part of me thinks the days of getting an AR for less than $800 and an AK for less than $500 are gone.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

id say 900 if they want everything on it. 800 when the panic cools
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
nfafan

"I'm also trying to sell off my assault rifle before Feinstein is properly shouted down and the flurry of panic-buying comes to an end. Though, part of me thinks the days of getting an AR for less than $800 and an AK for less than $500 are gone."

Agree.

But they may be irreplacable as I just don't see the other side being beaten back anytime soon.

Maybe some disgusting comprimise will happen, but they have inertia on their side - just trot out a child or wheel-chair-bound victim at EVERY photo-op.

And we all know how stoopid the US populace is - witness who was re-elected as proof.

Afterall; AR-15s can down air-o-planes and destroy trains.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #8
BillyJack3

My buddy finally got his last week for $800 new (M&P Sport). I'm also seeing all the high priced flippers sit without buyers a lot longer now. I heard recently that they removed the AR ban from the proposed bill so that calmed things down a bit. However, I'm still seeing mags and ammo as the hard to get items.