The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
coyota1

Michigan laws about transporting rifles and shotguns.

I live in Michigan, and the Michigan hunting manual says that any rifle or shotgun must be unloaded in both chamber and magazine, and in a case or trunk of a car. If I have a gun with gun and detachable mag in the gun unloaded, can I have spare mags loaded in the car/truck legally? Example would be if I had a 10 22 unloaded in chamber and magazine, but in my hunting I have a couple of spare mags loaded. I want to know if I could be in violation.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Polydorus

That's a pretty fine point. I think the intent is that a loaded weapon is not accessable. Why not give the authorites a call and see what they say?
Old December 14, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
coyota1

I called the DNR, and they didn't return my call. My government didn't call me back. That's why I posted this.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Pahoo

Polydorus + 1

I have found it interesting just how simular laws like this are common, in the Midwest states. It's almost as if they all got together or copied each other..
Have you tried calling your loca or county DRN officer, instead of the main office?

Our county DNR officer was asked this exact question and after a pause. He said this this was a grey area and the intend was to reduce accessibilty. He said that a loaded magazine in your pack or auto, should not be a problem but if that magazine was in the case, then you would likely get busted. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
coyota1

The way our officers are here, they are itchin to issue tickets for little technicalities. The state of Michigan and hence the employees who are scrambling to keep their jobs think nothing of slapping fines on the citizens, and confiscating their equipment to generate revenue. Right and wrong don't seem to be a issue.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Pahoo

WOW !!! ... Still go to the source

Quote:
The way our officers are here, they are itchin to issue tickets for little technicalities. The state of Michigan and hence the employees who are scrambling to keep their jobs think nothing of slapping fines on the citizens, and confiscating their equipment to generate revenue. Right and wrong don't seem to be a issue.
I find it troubling that you feel this way but that should not stop you from going to a qualified souce to get your best answer. I work closely with our DRN officers and find them to be of great service who enjoy their jobs. ...

Stay legal and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 14, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
coyota1

Quote:
I find it troubling that you feel this way but that should not stop you from going to a qualified souce to get your best answer. I work closely with our DRN officers and find them to be of great service who enjoy their jobs.
I find it troubling that they are the way they are. Very troubling!

They are like predators; they lye in wait, find a reason to get close to you, and then stick it to you.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

The regulation when written did not anticipate removable magazines. It's written to regulate a basic lever action or bolt action rifles internal magazine. Nothing in the chamber and nothing in *the* magazine. IE: the one attached to the rifle. The point was that the rifle was UNLOADED and precluded a hunter claiming "empty chamber" = unloaded when dealing with the DNR. This goes to preventing people from shooting out of cars.

Really... I'd just unload my magazine. And why carry more than one?

Willie

Old December 14, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
coyota1

Well, I carry a spare mag with my 10 22, or with my 788. Both have detachable mags. I do this instead of carrying loose rounds. I will unload all mags if necessary.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Polydorus

You could email your State Rep or Senator and politely ask your question. Mention the lack of a reply from the DNR and see what response you get.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
coyota1

I'll politely ask my rep or senator, and I will let them know about the lack of response from the DNR. If I don't get a straight answer I will unload all mags while transporting my rifles until I do. Even then I don't want to leave up to a local cop to know the law, cause often they don't have answers to the one I asked. I don't want to risk getting my equipment mainly firearms confiscated.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Chettt

I don't have a correct answer but I live in Michigan and while driving to the range I keep my rifle's in the trunk, unloaded with a trigger lock on each. If the weather was bad and I wanted to load the magazines in a warm house before leaving, I would place them in a locked box.