The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
BigJimP

Mosquito Repellant and finishes on Wood Stock

I just read an article in June Issue of Shotgun Sports ....where the editor makes a comment about a friend that ruined a finish on a new Perazzi because he didn't wipe it down at the end of the day ....

and when he wanted to strip the finish off a Rem 1100 - he sprayed it down with Deep Woods Off ...and overnight it removed / loosened all the finish on the stock ...

It would be sad ....to spray some mosquito repellent on your face and hands and arms ...and ruin the finish on a nice gun ( because you put it away / went to clean it in the morning....). I had no idea ..??? and I'm not going to test it on one of my guns, thank you very much ....
Old May 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

Hadn't thought of this.... but DEET will mess up many types of plastic resin, which is what many wood finishes are nowadays.

As long as you're not wetting the surface with the stuff, though, I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be. I'm a canoeist, so I'm always using bug dope and then handling wood canoe paddles, and I've never noticed any effect on the finish on those. But I don't use sprays -- just 100% DEET out of one of those little bottles; I put 2-3 drops on my hands, then carefully apply that around my hairline and neck, wipe off what's left around my ankles or wherever, then wipe off my hands on a cotton hat or bandanna... that's enough for anywhere I've ever traveled, including the Arctic, so there's really no need to use more.

I've never noticed any effect on anything I've touched after that. But I have messed up a couple of cheap watches during the initial application...

And if I were fortunate enough to have a Perazzi, I think I'd remember to wipe it off at the end of the day!
Old May 16, 2011, 06:56 PM   #3
mwar410

that DEET is nasty stuff, melts plastics and rubber. the higher the percentage of DEET the worst it gets. The regular OFF and similiar DEET products aren't too bad. The Ben's 100 will melt the plastic of a hard hat!
Old May 16, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
BigJimP

I am fortunate enough to have a lot of nice wood stocked guns ...and it never occured to me ...but I usually wipe them down ( but not always, until I get home )..

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...9&d=1281543688

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...3&d=1299018573

Deep woods off is what I've always had in my gunbox ...and I'd be really sad to ruin the finish on any of these guns ....

but of course in a marine environment / there is probably enough water splashing to keep it off ...keep it from damaging anything...( maybe it says something on the can / I don't know ). It was a surprise to me too ...that's why I thought I'd mention it....
Old May 16, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
oneounceload

Don't forget about sunscreen - something I am more likely to have on my face - it will ruin a stock finish as well. i am trying to find a Beartooth neoprene stock cover to help prevent that
Old May 16, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6
C0untZer0

Yes the mosquito repellant will do it.

A mosquito got in our car and while it was flying across the console my daughter sprayed it with OFF. She sprayed right on the station changing buttons of the radio. I immediately wiped them down but it was too late for one of the buttons - it kind of melted in place - does not work now, it's just frozen.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
zippy13

I recently got one of those multi-forwarded eMails, you know the kind, and it suggested using Listerine mouth wash as an insect repellant. Anyone have any experience there?

If it really works, I don't know how I'll teach my Perazzis to gargle.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:00 AM   #8
jmr40

Not only stock finish, but rubber watch bands, binoculars or any other accessiries made of plastic. If you rub the repellent into your skin you want have much if any problems. But if you let a puddle of the repellent set on the stock or whatever, it will begin to dissolve the plastic.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:52 AM   #9
BigJimP

..teaching a Perazzi to gargle....only from you my friend ...only from you ...
Old May 17, 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
lamarw

Good Point. It can also raise havoc in your tackle box with lures and especially rubber or plastic baits.
Old May 20, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
publius

I had the factory paint on a Martin bow get sticky when I sweated deet on it.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:56 AM   #12
BigJimP

Thanks for the comments guys ...I had no idea mosquito repellant or sun screen would damage finishes on rods, reels, tackle or on shotguns ...
Old May 23, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Saltydog235

Avon makes a product called Picaridin that has been great for us. We live in an area that is thick with the little blood suckers and its worked better than the DEET products so far. Then again, those things might have developed an immunity to DEET around here.