The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Pa-Pa's2506

Bullet seating

Hello to all. I am new to this and this is my first posting. I have a question about bullet seating. Any thoughts or comment will be appreciated. I am loading for my first time and I am having trouble getting the seating die set up perfectly. I am loading 25-06 and trying to get them as close to Remington factory Core-Lock as I can. The manuals I have read and even the slip that came with the dies say to have the overall length at 3.250. I am getting it as close as 3.245 to 3.248. when I turn the die more the bullets go to far. These are just starting loads with minimum charge of powder. I'm using H4831 at 51 grains.

Also I don't know the size of my chamber. I'm shooting my grandfathers Springfield 03 sporter that was re-chambered

My question is, how vital is it that my OAL? Is the .005 to .002 of an inch going to kill my accuracy?

Should I just keep playing with the die?

Again thanks for any help and info.

Old March 8, 2009, 09:55 AM   #2
cgaengineer

You will be fine with those small differences. Its going to be very hard to get the OAL perfect even with match grade bullets.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
kraigwy

If you are within a couple thousands of the recommended OAL, you are fine.

The main thing is consistantcy. If you are going affer accuracy then you can adjust the seating a little at a time until you reach your goal. Careful not to touch the lands or seat too deep, both will affect pressure.

Most reloading manuels give pretty good instructions on seating the bullet and every other aspect of reloading.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 8, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
dardascastbullets

Hi Pa Pa,

You are experiencing the 0.002" -0.005" variation in OAL because the bases of your cases are not trued up to the lateral line of the case(s). This is typical of brass as it is in its 'virgin' form. Precision competitors will true up the bases so that the base surface is perfectly perpendicular to the case's lateral line. This will ensure that the bullets are seated perfectly in-line to the case mouth (providing of course that the case neck has been turned perfectly in-line to the lateral line of the case.

So, in answer to your question, you are ok with what you are doing and the variation that you are experiencing will in no way degrade the accuracy of your rounds.

I trust that this will help you.
Old March 8, 2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Pa-Pa's2506

Thanks for the information. I was worried about the length and the bullet not seating properly in the barrel when I fire. All of the information helps. I'm going to finish out my batch and it the range in the morning.

Again Thank You All
Pa-Pa
Old March 8, 2009, 08:57 PM   #6
okie2

rebarreled not rechambered

I have a question.
if you are shooting a 1903 springfield and you say it was rechambered
to 25-06 then you are shooting 25 caliber bullets through a 30 caliber barrel.
I think if you ask you will find it was rebarreled not rechambered.
but nice rifle I have 3 03A3's. my first one I bought 1959 for $50.00 I was 19.
Just to add I still have the Stevens single shot 410 that my dad bought me in 1946 for $10.00
if you do the math i'm 69 now