The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2006, 08:17 PM   #1
bergie

Baker rifle ?

My father recently passed away and among his guns was an old muzzle loader. I was with him when he purchased this rifle at an auction about 10 or 12 years ago. At some point after that he had it identified and appraised by a gunsmith in the Omaha area. I don't know what happened to the paper the smith gave him and I am trying to find out a little more about this rifle, that if I remember correctly he called a Baker rifle.
What I can tell you about the rifle is that it is a flintlock converted to percussion. The only legible marking out on the lock is the word TOWER behind the hammer, other markings on the plate at the front are too faint and corroded to read. It is a .62 caliber rifle that was made sometime around 1800. The comb of the stock has been reshaped a little (dished out to allow better sighting) and I think the trigger guard has been reshaped or replaced. There is also a patchbox that I don't think is original. There are a couple of small holes near the front end of the stock that suggest something was removed, but it does have a cap on the end of the stock that if not original is very old.
Any information or a point in the right direction to find some would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
bergie
Old January 24, 2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Here you go, take your pick.

Lots of good information...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22baker+rifle%22

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 25, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Post pics please.
Old January 25, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Wildalaska

Just read a book about Wellingtons Rifles's (the Rifle Brigade) in the Peninnsular war...they used Bakers..

Very cool +1 gary...PICS PICS PICS

wILDOYEAHHISTORYaLASKA
Old January 25, 2006, 07:22 AM   #5
bergie

Yeah, I've done the google thing, that is part of the reason that I'm not sure what mods have been done and if the patchbox and triggerguard are original. Most of the decent pics on the web concentrate on the lock. I am thinking they are original, but that the tg has been modified. Also couldn't find good pics of the bayo mount and muzzle area, thought this kind of strange for all of the talk about the sword bayonets. Bayo mount has been removed and I can't really tell what is supposed to be there.
I will see if I can get some pics, the rifle is safely locked away at my mother's. That is also part of the problem, not having the rifle here to compare to what I pull up on the screen and trying to do it from memory.
Haven't been able to bring myself to load up dad's guns and bring them home yet, when I go over there I will just sit in his office and hold one, usually his A5, that is the one I have the most memories of him using, my favorite hunting partner for close to 40 years.

thanks,
bergie
Old January 25, 2006, 06:32 PM   #6
hivel37

Sorry you lost your Dad, Bergie. I know where you're at with that.