The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 15, 2004, 05:22 AM   #1
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Info on a Winchester 1892?

Hi guys -

I promised a buddy that I'd help him find info on an old original Winchester Model 1892 that his grandfather left him, but I'm having trouble dating it. I know there has to be a site or two out there for this purpose, right?

Anyhow, it's a "Sporting Rifle" from what I can tell:
Straight walnut stock, no checking
octagon barrel
Serial #659341

Also.. what's the function of the small "lever" on the underside of the end of the barrel? It lays against the barrel but can be pulled out to point straight down (in firing orientation.) Whatsitdo?

Thanks in advance, fellas.
Old October 15, 2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Winchester 92 SN 659341 was made in 1911.

What barrel length? 24" was standard for an octagon barrelled rifle. There were different lengths available but are less common to rare.
What calibre, .25 WCF (.25-20), .32 WCF (.32-20), .38 WCF (.38-40), or .44 WCF (.44-40)? The bigger calibers seem to be a little more valuable.

The little lever on the end of the magazine tube means it is a takedown model. Be SURE it is empty, right? Swing the lever out and use it to unscrew the magazine tube from the action and draw it out a little way (I don't recall if it is on interrupted threads and will come out with a half or quarter turn or if you have to wind it out several turns.) Just fool with it a little. Don't force it, apply Kroil if needed.

Open the action to get the extractor out of its notch in the barrel breech. Then turn the whole barrel, magazine, foreend assembly a quarter turn counterclockwise - the barrel and receiver threads are interrupted - and it will come right off the action. Assemble in reverse order, as the books say.
Old October 15, 2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Thanks a ton, Jim.

I knew I left out some info. I'm not sure what barrel length, but it's a pretty short levergun overall. I'll have to ask him.
Calibre is 38 WCF.

Any idea on approximate value (in very good condition, but obviously not mint.)... assuming it's a 24" barrel?

Thanks again, I'll relay the info. You've been a big help.