The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2001, 12:43 AM   #1
ballistic gelatin

Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag

I bought this shotgun a few months ago and it has one of those super duper turkey chokes in it. Does anybody know if I can shoot sabot slugs in it?
Old December 30, 2001, 07:50 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I wouldn't. Tight chokes rarely give good groups with slugs. So do overbores. Keep this as a waterfowl/turkey tool and get another shotgun for slug work. The plain jane Mossie bolt action makes a great slug gun, so do the 500/590 series.
Old December 30, 2001, 10:22 AM   #3
tranders

If it has screw in choke tubes go buy a imp.cylinder tube or a rifled choke tube.My Dad has had good luck with a rifled tube in his Remington 1100. A choke tube is a lot cheaper than buying another gun. Good Luck !!
Old December 30, 2001, 01:14 PM   #4
Bobshouse

Mossberg 835 barrels are overbored to almost 10 gauge sizes. They do not recommend that you shoot slugs through a 835 barrel, check the Mossberg site for more info before you hurt yourself.

from Mossberg site: Can I fire slugs through my 835® vent rib, Accu-Mag choke tube barrel? No, 835 field barrels (those with a ventilated rib) are "overbored", the extra inside diameter may cause the projectile to "wobble" producing unreliable accuracy. A projectile may wedge inside the barrel causing an obstruction. Obstructions of any kind can cause damage to the firearm resulting in personal injury. Dedicated smoothbore or fully rifled slug barrels are available for the Model 835. Other 835 Accu-Mag Choke Tube notes: Buckshot and steel-shot loads are not recommended for use with an Extra Full Turkey tube installed.

A little something else: Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-choke tubes? (500/9200/88/695 models) Yes, and with Sabots or rifled slugs, the more 'open' the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended). The "Full" or "Modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an Extra Full "Turkey tube" installed , due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads.

Check your owners manual for other safety guidelines, if you don't have a manual contact Mossberg for one.

Bob
Old December 30, 2001, 06:08 PM   #5
ballistic gelatin

Aw Man! Thanks for the valuable info. guys. Now this stinks. I don't hunt fowl, but I couldn't pass up the price on this barely used gun. My buddy sold it to me so he could buy accessories for his motorcycle. I was hoping to at "least" be able to shoot buckshot through it. Now I have to either trade it for a 500 series or get another barrel. Hmmm...diapers or a new barrel?
Old December 30, 2001, 06:28 PM   #6
Bobshouse

Just replace the choke to shoot buckshot. You will only need a new barrel to shoot slugs (about $150.00 from gun part sites). The guy you purchased it from must have a few extra chokes laying around for it, I know mine didn't come with a turkey choke, I had to pay extra for that!

If he doesn't have the chokes laying around anywhere you can buy one for around $20.00...

Bob
Old December 30, 2001, 06:36 PM   #7
ballistic gelatin

Thanks Bob. I am scouring the Mossberg site right now. You've been a big help.