The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2001, 12:52 PM   #1
Dave P

Remove a Poly Choke?

I just picked up a used Remington 11-87 from the local pawn shop, well used but seemed functional. I thought $100 was a fair price! Anyway, it has the old adjustable poly choke on the end of the barrel. Any way to remove this? It looks like one piece, with the bbl. I am tempted just to saw it off, to make it easier for my son to shoot.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Dave
Old December 26, 2001, 07:29 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes,you can hacksaw it off, but what's the point?

There goes all your choke. I don't like these myself, all that metal sitting on the end of the bbl is distracting. They work OK.

And, Remington also made an 11, an 11-48, an 1100 and so on. A Polychoke is much more likely to be on one of the older ones, since all of the 11-87s are set up for tubes.

If you do decide to cut it off, make sure you still have at least 18" of bbl left, measured from the muzzle to the face of the breech.
Old December 27, 2001, 08:29 AM   #3
DLF

Why not practice with it for a while. Learn the settings for the different costrictions for the chokes and then see what you think. They Poly-Choke is very functional, if not very beauful. I really enjoy the one I have on my Remington 1100 LT20.

Good Shooting,
Old December 27, 2001, 06:33 PM   #4
David Wile

Hey Dave P,

I agree with the other guys. While Poly Chokes may not be the "in" thing today, they were quite popular back in the 50s - and for a good reason - they worked quite well. Your $100 gun sounds like a good buy, and, when you take it out, just take pride in the fact that you are using something with class and distinction. Anyone can have a new shotgun with choke tubes, if they pay $500 to $1,000 or more. You have a truly good piece of functional nostalgia, and you only paid $100. Anytime you want your $100 to put toward a new scattergun, give me a call. I would be glad to buy that "old fashioned" gun.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 28, 2001, 08:27 AM   #5
Dave P

Too many Daves!

Turns out to be an 11-47, made in 1953 - that makes it as old as me! Factory says they have no replacement parts, so I guess I will use it as is.

Thanks, Guys!
Old December 28, 2001, 11:51 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 11-48 is a good shotgun, parts may be hard to come by but chances are it won't need any.

On Polychokes, the listed settings are often off a bit, patterning will let you know what the actual choke is, and you can go from there.

This sounds like a great $100 shotgun, give ya $125 for it(G)....