The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 2016, 11:52 PM   #1
SlvrDragon50

Flight cases for a single handgun

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun in the next month or so, but I will be buying it in Florida (residence) while I live in Illinois (school).

I'm planning on picking up a CZ or CZ clone so full framed pistol.

I am currently looking at a Pelican 1400 or a Pelican Storm im2100. Anyone have both of these and able to tell me whether I should pick one or the other since they're pretty similarly priced?

I heard that Storm cases were better than Pelicans, but that was before Pelican purchased Storm-Hardigg.

As far as I can tell, the only major difference is that Storm is more of a "light weight" case while the Pelican is the "survive everything" case.

I've never seen Storms in person so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Also, another question... what locks are you guys using to lock the cases since they aren't supposed to be TSA approved? Are the standard combination locks on Amazon going to be fine?
Old February 11, 2016, 08:06 AM   #2
jmhyer

This is what I use when flying with guns.

http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-100.html

It's inexpensive. The lock is self contained. It's very sturdy. I use the steel cable to attach it to the frame of my rolling suitcase. It doubles as a reasonable safe for car use on the rare occasion that I have to briefly leave my firearm in the car.
Old February 11, 2016, 12:11 PM   #3
JWT

I purchased the cheapest lockable one I could find on Amazon. It was acceptable to the airline (SW) and went inside the suitcase. Worked fine.
Old February 11, 2016, 04:41 PM   #4
SlvrDragon50

Hmm, that nanovault looks pretty good, especially since I don't have much room for storage in my room either.

I kinda wanted to use a combination lock though, and the nanovault 300 has pretty poor reviews for durability.

Have you tried to pry open the case at all? It doesn't look all too tough from the pictures. Plus, I just saw a video of it getting picked in a bout 10 seconds.
Old February 11, 2016, 06:57 PM   #5
jmhyer

I haven't tried to pry it open. I'm sure getting into it wouldn't be very hard for a determined thief. But I would submit that the same is also true for either of the Pelican cases. Casual grab-and-go deterrence is about all you can expect (or usually need) from something of this size.
Old February 11, 2016, 08:34 PM   #6
SlvrDragon50

Hmm that's true.

I am just worried about storing it in my luggage. Since if the gun goes as its own piece of luggage, it will be documented. However, if I put it in the suitcase and it gets nabbed, no one will ever know except for me. Although maybe that's just rumor?
Old February 11, 2016, 10:39 PM   #7
jmhyer

There will be a record that you checked a firearm, even though it is secured in your luggage. In my opinion, guns that are checked as a separate piece of luggage are more of a target for theft than one that is buried in a suitcase between your underwear. That's also the reason I like the steel cable. Because it secures the case to your luggage frame, it isn't quite so easy to just grab and go with it.
Old February 11, 2016, 11:24 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

I have a couple of those NV 300's and they are pretty sturdy. The lock can be swapped for a heavier duty one rather easily, too.
Old February 12, 2016, 01:06 AM   #9
SlvrDragon50

Seems like a full size CZ 85 Combat would be a very tight fit if I had more than 1-2 mags?

How many mags are you able to fit in the NV 300?
Old February 12, 2016, 11:54 AM   #10
jmhyer

I'm pretty sure empty mags don't have to be locked up.
Old February 12, 2016, 12:15 PM   #11
SlvrDragon50

Oh dang, I think you're right. For some reason I was thinking the mag needed to be in the same case.

At first I was planning on using the Pelican for storage too, but then I read about how bad foam is for inducing rust. NanoVault or one of the smaller Pelicans is looking a lot more enticing now.
Old February 14, 2016, 10:10 AM   #12
rkbanet

I have several Pelican cases, I would suggest at least a iM2300. Although I prefer the iM2370 myself. Do yourself a favor and get a case that can handle 2 handguns, that would be a more versatile choice. The iM2370 is about the size of a attache case.
Old February 15, 2016, 12:24 PM   #13
RolandD

I have about ten years experience handling/abusing Pelican Storm im2100 cases everyday. These things live up to their reputation. Our five cases have been subjected to a ridiculous amount of abuse. They have been dropped from heights over 30 feet onto concrete, bounced down a flight of over 50 stairs multiple times, thrown as far and hard as a person could, kicked around constantly, and hosed down repeatedly. They have been endured things that the American Tourister gorilla couldn't even imagine.

Depending on how the foam is cut, the im2100 could hold several full-size pistols.
Old February 15, 2016, 12:43 PM   #14
ejfalvo

I have a number of those 'clamshell' type metal portable vaults - they all work great for airline travel. I simply take the included cable and loop it around the suitcase frame, under the fabric lining - minimizing the chance it 'disappears' in transit. Keep in mind the nano is Small. I would look at the larger sizes (and the combination units) as they can hold a firearm and a mag - and no need to worry about a key.

Just my 2 cents.
Old February 15, 2016, 07:13 PM   #15
SlvrDragon50

Yup, I bought a different brand of clamshell, but it's basically the same, and it's a bit bigger.

Should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be able to measure out the area.