The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
KMAX

410 handgun ammo

This has probably been covered before, but what is the difference between 410 handgun ammo and regular 410 shotgun ammo. I don't have a 410 handgun, but a single shot shotgun that I rarely shoot anyway. Just wondering.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 10, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Quit possibly the handgun loads use a powder that is more efficient in the shorter barrel. Also, without searching, I think most of the handgun loads are buckshot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 10, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Mystro

The wads are also designed different. My Governor can put all 4 balls of Federal 000buck shot in the size of a tennis ball at 10 yards.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 11, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Prof Young

Self defense

Near as I can tell 410 handgun ammo is designed for self defense. It's specifically designed to shoot out of the current short barreled 410/45C guns likes the Judge. I don't know that you couldn't shoot it out of a 410 long gun.
But I have some 410 hand gun ammo that shoots three copper discs and a touch of bb shot behind those. Not sure how well that would shoot out of a long gun.
Live well, be Safe
Prof Young
Old February 11, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5
BigJimP

Its not different....a .410 shell...is a .410 shell.../ they are available in both 2 1/2" and 3"....

but the payload is different / or could be different....( could be OO Buck, or # 4 shot, or #9's or whatever ...)... the box of shells will tell you what they are ( most .410 shells are 1/2 oz ...but 3" shells might go up to 5/8 oz )

There are 2 1/2" and 3" .410 shells .../ the length spec on Shotshells refers to the length after they are fired ...so make sure the chamber on whatever weapon you're shooting the .410 shells in has the right chamber length to match the shells at their fired length / not prefired.

My target grade Browning O/U ...has a 2 1/2" chamber.../ a lot of "field guns" have 3" chambers...and I think a lot of the handguns ( derringers, the judge, etc .....came in several configurations or chamber lengths )..../ I have an American Derringer(model 6) that has a 3" chamber...chambered in .410 / .45 Colt
Old February 13, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6
napg19

I asked a gunsmith about this and he said the charge was different but I can't remember which way. Also the diameter of the copper discs might be bigger. so I cut a shell open and tried to drop a disc through my mossberg .410 24" full choke and it would not go through barrel. even though the shell chambered in gun the discs might be of .45 size due to different kind of wad. I guess so they would go through a Judge or Govener better that way. I hope this helps.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
KMAX

Thanks, guys. I felt there should be some difference to be labeled as handgun ammo. I don't think I have ever seen shotgun ammo with discs before and I guess the charge would need to be different for different barrel lengths. I may research it a little more in depth if my curiosity arises enough. Thanks again.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!