The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Single Six

Taurus Frame Cracking?

I have a line on a stainless Taurus PT-92, circa 1989. It has never been fired and appears to be in 100% NIB condition. Now, if I get it, it most likely will be relegated to "safe queen" status, bought purely for sentimental reasons [I carried this exact same make / model for my first LE duty auto]. In looking at the Taurus web site, I was struck by something they said about a new feature for these guns, specifically: "..specially designed drop hammer forged ordnance grade alloy frame [s] that won't crack or allow the slide to come off." Now, I'm not worried about this per se, since I've no plans to shoot this gun if I get it. But what is this about? This would seem to imply that there have been problems with frame cracking with these guns, to say nothing of the slide coming off, presumably while being fired, which would likely really ruin your day. I do know about the slide failures with the Taurus's progenitor, the Beretta 92; I understand from Ayoob articles that these incidents were attributed to overly-hot 9mm ammo. But frame cracking? Can anyone enlighten me here?
Old February 2, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Leejack

I wouldn't worry a bit, these are great guns.

I have been shooting them for years. I had an old 99 that had countless rounds through it without any problem. I speak from experience with the gun.

I assume the one you're looking at is a pre decocker model? They are very much in demand from those who like the PTs.

Let us know if you get it.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Single Six

Thanks as always, Leejack. It is indeed the safety only model, does not have the de-cock feature. I'll see what transpires and let ya know how it goes.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Leejack

You're welcome sir.

Since your post, I've been scouring the taurus forum looking but haven't found anyone mention they had a crack. There are a ton of PT92 fans over there, and allot of good pics of the older models you're looking at. Those rosewood grips just look so good on the gun. As you can see, the new models have a rail which I do not prefer, but it is what it is.

Here's a fun BBQ picture I took of my newer one, like the old one, also flawless and parks-em in the 10 ring all day long!

Old February 2, 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like, in attempting to assure buyers that an unusual condition will not happen with their design, they have created a concern that would not have otherwise existed. Not a great advertising idea, but IMHO, not a big problem, as hundreds of thousands of that model Taurus had NO problem to begin with.

Jim
Old February 2, 2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Adamantium

Didn't the Beretta go through a redesign for slides cracking? 92f vs 92fs, joking called the "fixed slide" model?
Old February 2, 2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Single Six

Leejack: You might be interested to know that the PT-92 I'm eyeballing has the original factory rosewood grips with the golden Taurus insignia on them...and they do look great. In fact, this gun appears to have been bought brand new and promptly packed away in storage since then. For what it's worth, I'm no fan of the light rails either, but of course being a 1989 piece, this one doesn't have them. Incidentally, I'm really impressed with yours...love that 2-tone finish.

Last edited by Single Six; February 2, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Leejack

Thanks!

My old 99 had what you're describing except, I think I got the first or second year of the decocker, early 90s I guess.

I think you'll be pleased. I can't imagine how many rounds I put through that thing, no cracks, malfuctions, nothing. Never broke or changed the locking block either, come to think of it.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:43 PM   #9
dsk

A PT-92 of the exact same vintage was one of my first handguns. The only problem I had with it was a defective locking block that left the barrel uncentered in the slide. I sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the LB, and I had no problems since then. It was perfectly reliable and reasonably accurate, but I eventually traded it in for an actual Beretta. It was a good pistol however, and one I wouldn't mind owning again if I found another one just like it for a good price.

Regarding the cracking issue, I've never heard of slide separations with the Taurus pistols, and assume if there ever was one it was likely just an anomaly.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:19 PM   #10
triumph666

they specifically say that because it is a clone of the beretta 92 and the beretta 92 had a few occasions in the military where the slide or frame broke....

The new taurus 92 series style pistol is built to their own specs and is an awesome firearm....as is the newer model beretta 92 style guns.....and honestly in my opinion the older styles wernt exactly know to be a dangerous blow up in your face gun regardless of the few accidents that happended
Old February 2, 2012, 09:47 PM   #11
blchandl2

Ahhhhhh, the old PT92s are thing of beauty.