The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 10, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
BarryLee

Range Tools

I generally do not carry any tools with me when I shoot other than a Swiss Army knife. Never really had an issue, but I am sure it is possible. Since I do not want to carry my entire tool kit with me I am considering the purchase of one of the firearm specific multi-tools that are on the market. I think Leatherman makes a few models called the MUT and Brownells also has a couple.

So, has anyone used any of these multi-tools? Is there something else you might recommend?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 10, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
CortJestir

My standard Leatherman is all that I've ever needed at the range. It's been more than useful on more than one occasion. If I ever needed more than a Leatherman, well, that's why I bring more than one gun to the range.

If I didn't have a Leatherman already, though, I'd look at the MUT. It's pretty specific to the AR-15 platform from what I can tell, but I can see its utility on many firearms.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Don P

It would depend on what kind/make of gun you shoot. Are you shooting reloads or all factory ammo?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Doyle

I made myself a "gun servicing" box out of a sturdy plastic tool box. It goes to the range every time I go and is also used when I clean my guns. It contains a small hammer, some punches, screwdriver handle with a range of drive bits, needle-nosed pliers, small vice-grip pliers, cheap reading glasses with extra magnification (handy when you are getting old), allen wrench set, tube of Loc Tite, plus various cleaning jags, patches, brushes, rod, CLP, etc. The whole thing is maybe 14" long x 8" high x 8" wide and is easily carried to the range.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
BarryLee

Quote:
It would depend on what kind/make of gun you shoot. Are you shooting reloads or all factory ammo?
Sorry, probably should have been more specific. Basically just handguns, but does include semi-autos and revolvers. As for make it could be: SIG, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Glock, Beretta. Most are fairly modern designs 1985 onward, but it does include 1911s. I use only factory ammo in all guns.

Generally I shoot at an indoor range and carry four or five guns at a time. If I had a major problem I would most likely just put the gun away and shoot another. However, I would hate to miss the opportunity to shoot a gun because of a simply repair.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 11, 2011, 02:01 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
I made myself a "gun servicing" box
Yes, this may be the way I end up going, but I was considering other options. I hate to end up with two tool kits - one for the shop and one for the field. I suppose I could sort of combine the two, but anyway just looking for opinions and ideas.

Thanks
- Milton Friedman
Old May 11, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
So, has anyone used any of these multi-tools? Is there something else you might recommend?
Absolutely and then some. Have never called it a service box this but it sure fits. In fact, I have two seperate boxes; one for my M/L's and the other for the center and rim fires. Whatever I need to take for what i'm planning to shoot, just load up and go for it. .....

Ya know, while we are at it, might help to list what Y'all take as far as tools. Multitool is in my kit but seldom really need it. I do take a set of allen wrenches and small screw drivers for the sights. I leave the channel locks at home for if I ever need any, I better get back to my shop .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 11, 2011, 11:39 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

SOG, Leatherman, Brownells....

I've seen a few magazine & catalog product listings. I saw a interesting tool for 1911a1 pistols & a few for AR/military weapons.
See www.Glockstore.com www.Natchezss.com www.Brownells.com .
The new Leatherman multi-tool was designed with input from combat troops so if you use those firearms it may help.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:26 PM   #9
drail

Get a small cheap tackle box from Whatevermart and keep any tools you can think of to clear jams, adjust sights and cleaning supplies and rags. You will be the most popular guy at the range. It is also MUCH easier to clean a gun at the range while it's still warm from firing - after that carbon and powder fouling have had time to sit on a gun for just an hour it's much harder to remove.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:54 PM   #10
jhansman

I carry a Sears magnetic screwdriver with six different bits that retract into the handle (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7&blockType=G7). Everything from small torx to phillips to flat that handle all my needs while at the range. Along with my pocket knife, I'm covered.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:51 PM   #11
frumious

I take a bunch of tools and whatnot to the range every time. It all used to go in my range bag along with the guns, and I would carry ammo in an ammo can. But back in March I bought a soft-sided tool bag bucket thing from Lowe's to keep my non-gun stuff in that I carry to the range. The bucket part holds a LOT of ammo. I put 100 rounds each of 9mm, .357, .44mag, and .45ACP, and 300 rounds of 22LR in it one weekend. 400 total rounds of centerfire plus 300 rimfire. The rest of the pockets and sleeves contains my squib rods, hammer, allen wrench pouch, screwdriver, earplugs, stapler/staples, binoculars, shoot-n-see dots, can of CLP, bottle of oil, punches, bushing wrenches, cleaning rods/brushes/patches, etc. This bag was the best $20 I ever spent.

I also have a tackle box at home with more cleaning rods and brushes and patches and better set of screwdrivers and lots of miscellaneous little parts and stuff. So I guess I have a "shop set" and a "field set" of tools. But both sets maybe add up to $100 or so so it is not a big overlap. I don't have a bunch of nice wrenches or sockets or anything that really drives the cost up.

One nice thing about having tools (at least for me) is that I can lend them to folks and strike up conversations with them. Someone else invariably seems to need a plastic mallet or a squib rod or a screwdriver or something. So I'm glad to have it. One time this guy set up next to me with about 4 or 5 suppressors. He seemed a little stand-offish and I wondered if he ever got annoyed with folks asking about his nice expensive ultra-cool toys. So I made it a point not to and kept to myself (drool, drool). But then I saw him squinting at his targets (15 yards) so I said "hey" and handed him a pair of binoculars. That sort of broke the ice and we had some neat conversation. He really did have some cool stuff.

-cls
Old May 13, 2011, 11:26 PM   #12
shootniron

Seems like every time I go to the range there is a "RANGE TOOL" in the bay next to me. That is the reason I like to go when everyone else is working.

Last edited by shootniron; May 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM.