The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 15, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

.22 Pistols

What ones do you prefer?
Target models/ Full lug or target >6" revolver (Ruger Mark (I, II, III), Browning Buckmark, Smith and Wesson Mod 41, etc)
Older standard models/Older SAA or standard revolver (Colt Woodsman, High Standard, Ruger Mark non-target variants)
Newer standard models/poly-frame or newer <6" revolver (Ruger SR-22, Walther P22, Sig Sauer Mosquito, etc)
22 conversions for full caliber pistols (1911 conv., Glock conv, Sig P220/226 conv., Beretta 92 conv. etc)
Tiny pocket carry guns/subcompact revolvers (Bobcat, Phoenix Arms, Jennings, CZ80/PPK .22 clones etc).

What do you use them for?
Target Shooting
Practice Shooting (LEO, Military, CCW)
Carry
Hunting
Back-up
Plinking
Critter Getter
Other Purpose (Training youngin's, indoor shooting, Cold War fanatic, collector)

Are there any you would like to get in the future?
Old September 15, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
PSP

I've got a couple .22s that are always entertaining and fun. They are;
Colt Woodsman Match Target - a magnificent target gun with a perfect trigger.
Walther PPK/s - Nice gun, OK sights, fun and grins only.
Walther P22 - fun only, not as many grins, not as reliable.
Walther TPH - Beautiful and a blast at short range, lots of fun.
Sig Mosquito - No fun at all, poor trigger and unreliable.
Browning 5.5 Field - almost as good as the Woodsman, target quality and a great trigger.
S&W K22 - great action, lots of fun, plink mostly, slower to shoot than a auto.
Bersa T22 - lots of fun in this plinker. Accuate enough for fun, needs HV ammo.
GSG 1911-22 - wow, loads of fun, great accuracy, good trigger and reliable makes a great A+ plinker.
Daewoo DP22 - the highest quality, nicest plinker/fun gun I own.
FEG 22 - OK gun, C+ plinker.
S&W 622 - is it a plinker or a target gun... not sure, a little of both.
Beretta 71s - beautiful, reliable and fun. Almost the ultimate plinker. Almost as good as the Daewoo.

I like all my .22s, but really like the ones that shoot most reliably and are good enough to hit something fun reactive or even just paper. Jams take the joy out. The only one I've ever carried is the TPH when my normal pocket gun went in for a rehab. I target shoot or blast cans and bottles... either way, it's fun time with a .22.

Last edited by PSP; September 16, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old September 16, 2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Dirty Dan

.22 Pistols

I have a Smith & Wesson model 48-4 factory nickel, with an 8 3/8th inch barrel. It came with a .22, s, l, and lr cylinder, as well as the .22 WRM, which gives me use of a full range of standard .22 rimfire ammo. As you shooters on the forum know, a revolver is very forgiving, when it comes to ammo, be it sub-sonic, to viper ammo, it will digest it all, without complaint. I use the revolver to plink, pests, target shoot, and chose it with hunting in mind as well. It performs all these tasks quite well. I am a good shot with it, but it will make any decent shot look good. I have a Remington Model 521T/scoped rifle, with a 3 x 9 variable scope on it. This rifle would keep you from going hungry, and is a joy to shoot on the range or in the woods. I have others but these are my mainstays. Oh, almost forgot, I like the Remington as I can put a 1" scope on it with no modification(s) to the rifle. Never have liked the smaller diameter scopes, and now in my late sixties, the larger scope helps with quick target acquisition.
Old September 16, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
tguil

Ruger Mark II 5 1/2 inch stainless bull barrel. I use it for hunting and plinking. Whenever I think about buying another .22 handgun, I ask myself, "Why?" Been doing this for thirty years and still haven't bought another .22.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

"prefer"????
I prefer the one that does the job.
I shot a Ruger standard competitively for many years and preferred it for target shooting.
I have a Ruger Single Six which I prefer to critter killing and plinking.
I have two pocket semi-autos which I prefer for social necessities.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
jonnyc

I have a Buckmark for target shooting and if I ever needed to make a squirrel stew, and a Beretta Model 71, with long and short barrels, for general plinking, or if I ever needed a .22 for anything serious.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7
JL Wesson

I have a Beretta 87 Target that I use for a Dinamic Shooting Championship that the national federation run here in Italy.
It is super reliable whatever you feed it with. From CCI Stinger to standard velocity rounds it cycle and shoot everything without any inconvenience (just clean it, no tricks, no customizing).
With adjustable sigths it is also very precise. A kind of mix between a plinker and a target pistol.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Pianoguy

I've got 5

Beretta Bobcat
Walther P22

bought both with the idea if CC. But they just aren't reliable enough or, more likely, the 22 round just isn't in a semi-auto. And I found I can CC a mush larger gun just fine.

Ruger LCR-22

Not a pistol but a nice gun. Solves all the issues that the Bobcat and P22 have for CC should I go with a 22.

Browning Buckmark Camper
H&R Model 999 (I think) Sportsman

Both for just target shooting and,since I do most of my shooting w/ my CC gun, they mostly just sit in the safe. The Camper was bought on a lark. It's fine for what it is but it will be the first I sell should I sell anything. The H&R was my Dad's (a X-mas present from my mom) and won't be going anywhere.

At one time I thought about starting a 22 collection but then the crazy ammo shortage hit and put a halt to that.
Old September 16, 2013, 10:10 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Ruger MkI target 6 7/8"bbl adjustable sights.
Browning Challenger
Stoeger Luger .22

S&W model 17-6 (6" all steel full underlug 6shot cylinder)
Ruger Super Single Six convertible (almost never used with .22mag)

T/C Contender 10" .22LR

The above are all used for sport, & necessary chores. I don't shoot formal competition.

Jennings J-22
This one is used, only as a paperweight and a example of what kind of gun NOT to get.
Old September 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Browning Buckmark Camper - plink and steel

Ruger SS Bearcat - cute and for the end of the world, new shooters

NAA Minis - just because
Old September 16, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11
pilpens

I have a few, S&W 41 (5"), Browning Buckmarks (4", 7"), Ruger MKIIs (5.5", 7") and Ruger SR22.

I mostly shoot with the 4" Buckmark and the Ruger 5.5".

1st: 4" buckmark for all around shooting.
- balance is very good.
- not picky with ammo (SV, HV, bulk, it eats everything).
- as accurate as the long barrel (just takes more effort to shoot as accurately as 7").
- easy to clean without disassembly.
- feels closest to my centerfires.

Ruger SR22: used for teaching children or adults with small hands.
Old September 16, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
ms6852

I have a few that I use for practice I carry a 1911 so i have the conversion, I carry also the Walther PPQ so I have the P22, I also carry the S&W 642 so I have a CADET 22. I practice alot of weak hand shooting and using 22 is the cheapest way to do it and also practicing with a similar handgun which you carry makes it a little more realistically. I also have a buckmark camper, and the NAA 22 magnum/22lr.
Old September 16, 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
dgludwig

I prefer the ones I already have: a Ruger MKII "Government" model semi-auto; a Smith Model 41 semi-auto; a Smith model 617 10 shot da revolver and a Ruger Super Single Six sa revolver. These handguns do everything expected from a .22 pistol, from serious target shooting, to plinking and hunting and everything in-between.
Can't have too many .22s.
Old September 17, 2013, 12:38 AM   #14
BingoFuel

I have a strange one:
A Benelli MP95 Atlanta .22 (6, 8 or 9 shot magazines). I really enjoy the thing though it looks strange as heck. I bought it for plinking and the like but it's target shooting roots make it impossible to carry/holster.
I am looking to buy a high quality S&W .22LR revolver and a model 41 but my wife has drawn the line in the sand on guns at the moment.
I wait patiently...
B
Old September 17, 2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Skans

I bought a nice Ruger Mark II, all stainless. I used it for practice, trigger discipline, etc. Honestly, I'm pretty board with it. I keep it around because my wife likes to use it and when I take others shooting who aren't very experienced, I'll bring the Mark II. Personally, I have little use for .22 handguns. I'd rather shoot 9mm, .40, 45acp, 38sp, .357 and .44 magnum (well, this one's too expensive now). It's just more realistic. If I want to shoot a gun that has next to no recoil, I'd pursue laser tag as a hobby.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:32 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Settled on 3:

- H&R 949. Fun gun, cowboy style, inherited from grandpa, rarely shot anymore.
- Bersa T22. Fun gun, finicky with bulk ammo, hard to shoot accurately, occasional CC.
- Ruger MKIII 22/45, Talo addition, 4.5" slabside. After years of buyin, sellin, tradin this is the gun that does what I need a rimfire to do. Hunting, plinkin and showing up buddies shooting paper. Nothing more that I could ask.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; September 18, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Kev

Ive had..
Colt Officers Model Match, sweetest 22 ever..
S&W Model 17..Good, but I prefered the Colt
Ruger Single Six
Ruger MK2 Bull barrel
All where for putting lots of holes in little pieces of paper

Have a High Standard Dura-Matic on the way that I cant wait to shoot.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #18
saleen322

I have a couple of dozen, almost all target models. I am just unable to pass on anything accurate and quality made. I rarely trade one off as I usually miss it after it is gone AND quality target pistols just keep going up in value so you don't lose money on them.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:35 PM   #19
orionengnr

Had a few...what I have today:
Ruger MkII Stainless 5.5" Bull barrel
S&W M-18 4"

Honestly, given the price of .22LR ammo and the value of the M18, I don't know why I haven't sold it. Except that it is an incredibly accurate and fun to shoot little sucker.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Mike38

I have four .22 handguns. Ruger 22/45 used for plinking/fun. Ruger Single Six that was my late Father’s. Have never shot it, just pick it up and think about Dad once in a while. A pair of Baikal IZH35M for bullseye competition.

For their intended purposes, I’m pleased with all of them.
Old September 18, 2013, 05:22 AM   #21
darkgael

.22s

One of my .22 pistols is a S&W 317 Airlite...it is my woods walk gun. It goes in my pocket when I hike and when I hunt.
My other .22 pistols - a Ruger MK.II Gov't, a High Standard Victor, a T/C Contender with a 10" barrel, and an old Pardini Free Pistol, are all target guns.
Pete
Old September 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #22
mrray13

I've got three right now,

S&W 17-4, 6". This was a have to have. Most accurate 22 I own, they don't get much better. It punches lots of holes in paper.

Ruger MKIII Target, lots of fun and a rabbit killer. The kids love this one, lots of rapid fire. PIA to clean, but been super reliable.

Heritage Rough Rider 4" Birds Head. Loads of fun paper puncher. Only SA I own currently, this one is just a blast, especially with the magnum cylinder.

Would like to add a 1911 and a model 18. The 18 just because, even though it's gonna be hard to get.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:26 AM   #23
RLWII

Why doesn't the Colt .22 Target Model receive any love? It is my favorite plinker. We see these threads often about .22s and I can't remember the last time anyone even mentioned these. May not have the allure of the older Colt .22s, but still a good piece.
Old September 18, 2013, 04:08 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

When everything goes sideways....

When everything goes sideways or if the balloon goes up(a old expression of the late gun/tactics trainer Jeff Cooper), I plan to have a camo type AR-7 Henry Rifle & maybe a add-on kit for a Glock 22 .40 to convert it to a .22LR if needed.
I've been thru or worked armed first responder/security details for Charlie, Ivan & Wilma(2005).
If a storm like Katrina or Super-Storm Sandy hits, I plan to be armed & have a few weapons that can convert quickly to pistol calibers & .22LR.

Years ago, as a teen, I read a military surplus book that stated a trained marksman with a bolt action .22LR could knock out & control a city block.
Even in 2013, I think there's a lot of truth to that statement.
.22LRs are low recoil, low muzzle flash, lightweight, economical to train with, & easy to buy in most locations.
The newer Henry type AR-7 system is considered a improved weapon too.

CF
www.ready.gov www.dhs.gov www.gunsamerica.com
Old September 18, 2013, 05:43 PM   #25
baddarryl

I only have one, a Buckmark Pro Target 5.5 bull barrel that I absolutely love. The only addition to it I really want is a good revolver. Model 17 or something.