The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1
WoodyW

SW 6906 rear sight nudge

Hello folks. I have several 3rd gen S&W autos and am very happy with the accuracy of all except my 6906. At 10 yards it shoots about 2" to the right (groups are decent). I read how to adjust the rear sight in the S&W manual, and tried. Removed the set screw, put the receiver in a vise between wood bracing and tried to drive the sight left with a brass (and a steel) drift using a fairly heavy hammer. I cannot see that the sight moved at all, I don't want to hit any harder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Woody
Old May 23, 2010, 11:49 PM   #2
hoghunting

Use a pencil and make a mark across the sight and slide so you will have a reference point. Unless you have a sight pusher, you will have to smack the sight until it moves - that's why you need a reference mark.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:52 AM   #3
LaserSpot

I would stay with the brass punch and hit it harder; don't miss. The steel punch will ding it up. Is the wood holding the slide firmly enough? Too-soft wood could be cushioning the blow.

It might help to soak with a penetrating lubricant. You also could try heating the slide and hold an ice cube on the sight to shrink it a little.

The pencil mark is a good idea, also calculate how much you want to move it. You need to know the ratio of the sight radius (in inches) to the target distance (360 inches); multiply that by 2". Do you have calipers or a micrometer?
Old May 24, 2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Most people use a hammer that is much too big. Use a tack hammer, and hit the punch sharply. You want to "shock" the sight, not the whole slide.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:17 PM   #5
WoodyW

Thanks for the responses. I will make sure I am using hardwood to protect the slide. Copy the pencil mark idea, as well as the smaller hammer.

I have been reluctant to use heat because of the plastic plunger on the underside of the slide, but may resort to that.

I have saturated the sight with penetrating lube.

I will post when successful.

Thanks,

Woody