The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
k9cougar

Which powder should I choose next?

I have a glock 19 and load 9MM with Montana gold 124 gr. rn. I've been loading with 231 with decent success but that is running out. I haven't been able to find it locally but went a little crazy and now have Unique, Universal, and Power Pistol. Of those 3, which powder should I use? Any loads that you have found that have worked particulary well for?
Old April 16, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Jim243

K9 like you I am a fan of 231, all three that you listed should work well, just find a load in your books that uses the least amount of powder for a max load and that will be the fastest burning powder available. I am a believer in fast powder for the 9mm.

Jim
Old April 17, 2010, 06:26 AM   #3
spacecoast

Titegroup and accurate #2 are both fast and good for 9mm.
Old April 17, 2010, 07:01 AM   #4
RidgwayCO

If you'll listen carefully (in a quiet room) to your Montana Gold bullets, they're all saying "Power Pistol...".
Old April 17, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Power Pistol was designed for the 9mm.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:39 AM   #6
totaldla

Power pistol is the best of the 3. Only downside, IMO, is the flash.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
If you'll listen carefully (in a quiet room) to your Montana Gold bullets, they're all saying "Power Pistol...".
Terrific!

I'll give the 18th vote for Power Pistol. I like it for a number of reasons:
  • It meters very well, so my powder thrower always gives me a consistent drop. Inspires confidence.
  • It performs well in 9mm, gives me decent accuracy.
  • It works great in 10mm and I use it in two other rounds, too, so it's flexible.
  • Because I can use it in other loads, it makes good economic sense for me to buy it in bulk, and I can get it in 4-pound jugs. Good deal!
  • Doesn't seem to be particularly dirty.
If I were forced to list complaints about it, I would have to say that it uses a heavier charge weight than other options, so it's not quite as economical, but when you buy in bulk and you can use it in other loads, that gets trumped. My other complaint is that Alliant's website with load data is horrible, worst in the industry, so you don't always have a "go to" place for flexible load information. But that's not enough to steer me away from it.

I think I'm up to fourteen different powders in my cache, some I use often and some I never use. (cough UNIQUE cough) but Power Pistol remains my favorite.

For a 124-gr bullet, I've been using a 6.3gr charge of Power Pistol. No chrono, but I'd say it's on the warm side. Start lower, work up.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Sevens

totaldla -- good point and one I forgot to mention. Depending whether you like it or hate it, Power Pistol is a fireball maker.
Old April 17, 2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

The bullets may be saying Power Pistol, but the gun is begging for more 231...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 17, 2010, 02:01 PM   #10
ir3e971

I have used titegroup, 231, and several others. However, I settled on Ramshot ZIP for 9mm. Meters well, accurate, and well behaved.

The other powders I tried all worked fine as well, but I liked the way ZIP shot the best.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

odd man out

I avoid all 'fast' powders in the 9x19; I use significant amounts of 'medium-range' WAP, and Power Pistol, and 3N37.

But right now I'm using 130g Montana Golds....

Tags
9mm , power pistol , unique , universal