The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 21, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
mrt949

Do You Practice With Air Soft Guns

I was loohing at them at the shot show in orlando They look great for practice with ammo being a problem in some areas.What do you think.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
ken grant

I think the Airsofts are great for home training and I do it all the time.
I have Gas Blow Blacks for a Glock 19 and a 1911.
The Glock is a KWA and I have shot over 16,000 BB's through it with no problems at all. In fact, I didn't expect it to really last a long time and bought some spares but have not used them yet.
I use Coleman Propane Bottles for gas and in warm temps can get over 6,000 shots per bottle at a cost of less than $3.00 ea.
I gave one of my spares to my Grandson and he has shot I don't know how many through his and as of today, it is still going strong.

My 1911 is a WE Tactical and it gave problems at first and broke parts but after replacing them and cuting a little of the guide rod, it is going strong as well but I have not shot it as much as the KWA Glock.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

i have a couple... used to shoot em all the time... now i gave em up when i started reloading rifle ammo
Old March 21, 2009, 07:58 PM   #4
bigghoss

just ordered a KWA glock 18

Last edited by bigghoss; March 21, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Dave R

I use my own carry pistol, with Speer plastic training bullets. Powered by primer only. I shoot 'em in my garage, doing draw-from-cover-to-first shot drills.

Same concept, I suppose, except it really is my pistol.

I find it very valuable.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
bigghoss

Quote:
I use my own carry pistol, with Speer plastic training bullets. Powered by primer only.
that wouldn't work for me because I live in an apartment.

the airsoft would allow me to practice in my home and get an good idea of clearing my apartment should I hear a bump in the night but I'm not sure if someone has actually broken in or if that crap pressboard bookshelf from walmart finally gave way.

I also plan on getting a .22 kit for when I actually get to the range

I also have the fun of a full auto airsoft pistol
Old March 22, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Ricklin

Airsoft Rocks!

I've been practicing with airguns for years. I've now switched to airsoft, not as accurate as a pellet pistol, but quiet and safe.

If you can shoot good groups with the crappy airsoft triggers, a real weapon is a pleasure.

Practice Practice Practice
Old March 22, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
scorpion_tyr

I'm trying to talk the wife into doing some drills and scenarios with some airsoft guns. She doesn't think it's a good idea, but I think it could be a great tool for HD.

The rubber BBs won't cause any real injuries (keep safety glasses on), but the sting you get from being shot will teach you a lesson if you're doing something wrong.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:48 PM   #9
SilentHitz

I've also got a KWA 1911 blowback, just paid $59 as a close out item. Shot it so much the front sight came off, super glued it, and it eventually came off again LOL. Think it's about time I flipped for a more expensive model ( all steel), cause they're too much fun. I live in an apartment too, and it's just the ticket...got a cardboard box with target taped on it in the bedroom.

It's not too hard for my sister to tell my brother and I have been playing...she finds all the rounds that happen to wind up on the floor...usually finds a few when she runs the vacume cleaner too.

http://k5fv.com/
Old March 22, 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
KnightZero

There are 4 Pepsi cans sitting on top of my television. I'm sitting here wishing that I had an airsoft to pick them off with. I would like to invest in a model that emulates one of my carry guns, but I can't seem to find a model of my XD or my Millennium in blowback. I'm thinking about getting the cheapo Millennium spring gun for now.

I used to have a couple of Beretta 92 spring guns, and a Glock spring gun, but they all ended up with my ex-fiancee when we broke up.

Those Pepsi cans really won't stop calling me now.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:20 PM   #11
matthew temkin

Great training aids.
Fun, too.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:52 PM   #12
SilentHitz

Not practical at all, but I want one of these just to play with LOL:http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-HWA-6801-STG.htm

Old March 22, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13
Croz

Quote:
I use my own carry pistol, with Speer plastic training bullets. Powered by primer only. I shoot 'em in my garage, doing draw-from-cover-to-first shot drills.
What caliber? We used to do that when I was a kid with my dad's .38 special. I didn't think they were available in many calibers. I'd love to be able to do that with my 9mm.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:53 AM   #14
NYPD13

With the price of ammo, sure do. Besides airsoft is just plain fun.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:15 AM   #15
SpookBoy

Yes i do, especially reloads. and sometimes i practice the reloads with or without a flashlight in the dark.Works for me and cheap as dirt.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old March 23, 2009, 10:52 AM   #16
bigghoss

Quote:
Not practical at all, but I want one of these just to play with LOL:http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-HWA-6801-STG.htm
that thing is too friggin cool! DO WANT!!!

the only cooler one I've seen was a m203 grenade launcher under an m4airsoft that shot 20 pellets at once I think.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:57 AM   #17
SilentHitz

Finally ordered it this morning, just couldn't resist any longer.

Old March 23, 2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Housezealot

I have got a couple of beer cans on strings I hang up and shoot at while I watch tv, and if you think Its not dangerous thats only becuse you haven't seen my wife when her vacuum sounds like a popcorn maker thanks to hundreds of pellets
I have a cheap 39 dollar spring gun, I have been wondering how many rounds you get out of the co2 guns befor you have to replace the air cartridge?
any body know off the top of their head?
Old March 23, 2009, 01:33 PM   #19
SPUSCG

Airsoft I can dual wield rifles, and do. i almost solely dual weld airsoft guns, as they are so inaccurate that fun is about it. They do teach some stuff though. Like reacton time, aquiring a moving target, taking cover. It also teaches that a bush or trashcan is good cover though. Its fun though, need to get some pics of dual wielding a crossman c-11 and a G-22 airsoft.
Old March 23, 2009, 01:38 PM   #20
ranburr

Great for FOF.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:29 PM   #21
G-man 26

I have a friend who trains religiously with air soft. Do you guys recommend this? He does, I haven't taken the plunge on this one yet. May have to, or not, can't decide. It sounds like fun times, but I don't know how much I would trust them as a training aide.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:48 PM   #22
THEZACHARIAS

Any practice you can get will help, and airsoft definately counts. I wish the recoil on those things was a little more realistic, but it does help in other ways if you can find an airsoft gun with similar weight and balance to your normal weapon. I also consider any time spent on a paintball field as shoot-on-the-move and tactical practice as well, since its the closest thing you're going to get to being shot at with real bullets.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:51 PM   #23
csmsss

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't see what benefit you get from training with an Airsoft rifle/pistol. An Airsoft pistol will feel different in your hands, will have different sights and POI, and can't duplicate the noise and muzzle flash of an actual firearm. I don't see what advantage it possesses over training with an unloaded weapon.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:44 PM   #24
ranburr

CSMSSS, the advantage of training with airsoft is in force on force scenarios. It allows you to safely practice close combat drills that you can't do with live ammo for obvious reasons. I used to consider airsoft a childs toy until I went to a class that used it in FOF. It is a very eye opening experience and gives you a pretty good idea of what tactics will get you shot and which ones will get you out of the line of fire.
Old March 24, 2009, 02:57 AM   #25
Doggieman

I agree Airsoft would be good for COMBAT TACTICS, but in a home defense situation there really aren't any 'tactics' per se, from all the dozens of stories I've read about them. The only tactics I've read about were that the homeowner 1) had a gun and 2) fired it at the intruders. 99.99% of all attacks are criminals looking for an easy score. Once the guns start blazing the criminals leave very quickly.

That said, if you think you're going to be in a situation where armed dudes are going to break into your place with you there and they will know you are armed and are going to do it anyway, then you might need some tactics. But if you're involved in a situation where that might happen I'd hope you'd have the cash to spend on a few bodyguards and their weaponry and/or other home defense stuff.

For the obvious reasons IMHO Airsoft are not good for standard home defense situations because they do not replicate the recoil, the DEAFENING SOUND, the acrid smell and possible smoky haze of actually firing a weapon indoors.