Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Deaf Smith

All home invaders are shot on sight.
Survivors are prosecuted.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:03 PM   #27
feudalson

1. ready gun... 2. wife sets off car alarm and calls 911 will lying on the bed room floor with pistol... 3. i move towards the threat and make sure the sititution doesnt reach the bedroom.. 4. handle threat in any way possible.. 5. secure surroundings and prepare for the cops arrivial.. meaning unloading my personall weapon involved and placing it in plain sight..
"It is destiny"--phrase of the weak human heart; dark apology for every error. The strong and the virtuous admit no destiny. On earth, guides conscience; in heaven, watches God. And destiny is but the phantom we invoke to silence the one, to dethrone the other.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:01 PM   #28
91slicktop

If someone makes it into the home they are being shot fatally. None of this omg i broke into your house, you shot me and now I'm paralyzed and going to sue you BS.

If they are at the door, they will be warned to leave, and if they enter that they will be shot. Call police, and wait.
-Remington 700 .308 (Sold)
Old March 10, 2009, 10:42 PM   #29
scorpion_tyr

Whatever "plan" I may have will probably go right out the window since there's no telling when, where, or how it would go down. So I'll just keep it simple. Break into my home while I'm there, I'm going to assume you are there to kill me and my family. I will not let that happen. If you don't die, it is only because I am dead.

No warnings. No "less than lethal". No remorse for someone who would invade my home and my family.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:07 AM   #30
Re4mer

If there was a knock I would for sure check it out using peep hole and outside light. We only have one door in and it is a special security door attached to a screen door made of a near unbreakable glass like substance so it would be hard for anybody to get in quickly if that was their chosen point of entry. The door itself is steel with steel door jams and dead bolt for added security. It would take even a strong determined group of guys about 3 or 4 minuets to get past all that. If the door does become breached the security alarm will sound giving further warning.

More likely they would try a window which would put them at a huge tactical disadvantage seeing as how my windows are about 4-5 feet up from ground level and basement windows are solid glass block.

Either way if they managed to get into the house both my wife and I would have already been able to call 911, round up the baby, and grab the firearms off the night stand, while taking cover in our master bedroom.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:16 AM   #31
Re4mer

Quote:
Lets say 3 am pounding starts on both your front and back doors.
You know that in all likelihood the situation would look more like this. A nice looking young man or women would come to your front door asking for help with a broken down car and if they can use the phone. You or your wife opens the door to hand them the phone and a buddy comes out from the side and rushes in.

Or you are getting out your car in the driveway or garage when a fellow who has been casing your house for the past week rushes you.

Typically a smart criminal will strike when you are in a state of vulnerability or transition; seldom do they knock.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:26 AM   #32
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
That's why I put the wink, all. No, I wouldn't use a drop gun. No, I wouldn't run outside and shoot everyone.

If I wrote something like that I would delete it. Just out of respect for everyone on the forum. It was lame and makes us all look like pychos.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:28 AM   #33
Firepower!

M4 with me. 7Aks and 2Mp5s with folks around the house.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:10 PM   #34
Housezealot

I actually ponder this quite a bit, I worry about over penetration more than anything, I have two small children and am very worried about shooting through a wall, I have no very large open area's in my house so I have my mossberg 500 loaded with bird shot. I figure at close range that will be effective but won't have much threat through a wall, Does any one have any knowlage of bird shot as a defensive round at real close range (15 feet or less) this might sound like a silly question but the idea of rounds ripping through my Kids wall is horrifing to me.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:30 PM   #35
David Armstrong

Quote:
I am talking about a BG that stalks you and is going to attempt to enter your house silently in the dead of night.
If a BG can silently enter you house in the dead of the night, having a gun is the least of your problems. You need to focus on that access problem before anything else, IMO.
BTW, serial killers rarely break into the house. They tend to enter under a ruse of some type, when they enter.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:34 PM   #36
David Armstrong

Quote:
If intruders are in my house, in the dead of night, they get shot. period.
Don't shoot just because you can, shoot because you need to. Generally works out better that way, saves you lots of time and money.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:37 PM   #37
Careby

Quote:
Does any one have any knowlage of bird shot as a defensive round at real close range (15 feet or less) this might sound like a silly question but the idea of rounds ripping through my Kids wall is horrifing to me.
Maybe this will help: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
Old March 11, 2009, 12:38 PM   #38
Creature

Quote:
Don't shoot just because you can, shoot because you need to
Are you going to interview the intruder/s in your home at 02:30 to find out what their true motivation/intentions are?
Old March 11, 2009, 12:45 PM   #39
Housezealot

Careby, That was very helpful, talk about answering my exact question,
Birdshot is coming out tonight. thanks a lot.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Creature

Did you miss this part of the write up regarding birdshot on page two?:

Quote:
Birdshot as a Defense Load
I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:02 PM   #41
IDAHO83501

12 Gauge

My plan is simple, I grab my 12 ga. Winchester Defender, my wife grabs her Beretta, I go investigate, I shoot anyone in my home that isn't suppose to be there, that doesn't leave as soon as I confront them, I shoot to kill, my wife shoots anyone who comes into our bedroom unless it is me.

Last edited by IDAHO83501; March 11, 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: too many words
Old March 11, 2009, 01:03 PM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Birdshot is coming out tonight. thanks a lot.
Birdshot is better than most any handgun, buckshot is MUCH better. Few things make for better home defense than a 12ga loaded with about any type of buck shot. If it were me, it would be #00 or #000
Old March 11, 2009, 01:06 PM   #43
Creature

I seriously doubt I will be sending any rounds or shot "outbound" until my wife and kid are BEHIND me. And I wont be shooting any birdshot.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:28 PM   #44
Housezealot

Creature,I meant bird shot is coming out of the GUN tonight, and as for having wife and kids safe directly behind me that would be ideal and you obviosly wouldn't shoot towards a family member on purpose no matter how many walls were in between you, but I feel better about firing light shot in the house than a hot .357 round thats going to go clear through the wall and out the siding.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:32 PM   #45
Ian0351

FWIW: I do consider intruders in my home in the middle of the night a "need to shoot" situation. The time for talking is while they are outside obeying the rules of polite society. Also, IMO after midnight is too late to be asking strangers for gas or tire assistance: call AAA, or better yet, a cop

Semper Fidelis
Old March 11, 2009, 02:10 PM   #46
Creature

I knew that!
Old March 11, 2009, 02:20 PM   #47
David Armstrong

Quote:
Are you going to interview the intruder/s in your home at 02:30 to find out what their true motivation/intentions are?
No, why? What would that do for the situation? You seem to ask very strange questions that make no sense.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:24 PM   #48
David Armstrong

Quote:
FWIW: I do consider intruders in my home in the middle of the night a "need to shoot" situation.
Again, why? What can be solved by shooting them that cannot be solved by getting them to leave the home? If you holler at them and they leave, it is done. If you shoot them you will have to deal with the police, probably need to hire an attorney, certainly have to pay to clean up your house, etc. If you holler at them and they don't leave, you can still shoot them.
Old March 11, 2009, 02:34 PM   #49
Creature

And your logic seems very strange to me.

Quote:
What can be solved by shooting them that cannot be solved by getting them to leave the home?
They do it once, they will likely do it again.

A home invader is vermin, plain and simple. Why should I shout? I will never give a home invader the benefit of the doubt...he gave up any chance at one the moment he set foot into my occupied home in the middle of the night. Nor am I willing to give away my position by shouting.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:11 PM   #50
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
If you holler at them and they leave, it is done.
Or if they are armed they know where you are and shoot you. I like this better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Fort up in the bedroom and call 911.
Make it clear to whoever's in the house that coming into the bedroom is a good way to get shot and that Johnny Law is en route.
Wait.
Closed Thread