The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
madkiwi

.308 bullet pricing and primer availability

I just hit a local gunshow yesterday, and walked (well, staggered) out with 1500 bullets (FMJBT 150 grain with cannelure) for $150. From what I have seen lately this was a good price, didn't stop me trying to negotiate on the pricing. I was offering to buy everything on the table (6 bags of $25/250) for $100, including all the usual tactics (cash in hand, hemming and hawing, walking away etc).

Not sure of the brand- more copper colored than the last batch I purchased, no visible pull marks.

Now if only I could find some large rifle primers- I bought at the show 3 cases (5000 ea) of Winchester small pistol, large pistol and small rifle for $300. But I have less than 900 large rifle left. Anyone know where to get some?

madkiwi
Old April 20, 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
minnfinn

Ammunition and component prices are going WAY up in the last year and don't know of many exceptions to that. Unless you happen to find someone who is going out of business and bought large qty. before this recent price spike.
I wonder too if much of this is due to the weak $ and at least a significant % of the brass, lead or other materials are coming into the US from foreign suppliers who have to charge more to make up for this.

This is a reloading component / equipment supplier here in the western side of the Twin Cities (MN). If they don't have what you're looking for, e-mail the owner and he'll let you know if he has or can get it. I don't know whether this guy charges the $20 std fee most suppliers charge for shipping primers and/or primers though. See what he says. From what I could tell he has a pretty wide range of reloading components and equipment and will send you out a free catalog if you ask.

http://www.gunstop.com/
Old April 21, 2008, 02:03 AM   #3
The Lovemaster

Dang, that's a good price on those bullets, great job!