US Hunter dies in New Zealand.

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3677325a10,00.html

Oh dear.
Old May 22, 2006, 06:16 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Egad, man!
Old May 22, 2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Mannlicher

you always have to watch that first step. Boy, thats a bummer.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 22, 2006, 08:04 PM   #4
shureshot0471

Thats a bad deal awalys need to watch ur step in the mountains weather u have been doining it for years or if you are a beginner.
- Ted Nugent
Old May 22, 2006, 08:10 PM   #5
rapier144

Who hunts with the help of a helicopter? Talk about lazy.
Old May 22, 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Death from Afar

Rapier, if it is a choice between a 3000 ft climb and an hours hunting, or a chopper ride and a whole days hunting, I will take the chopper every time.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:13 AM   #7
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Mountain valley with no roads and no access trails. Good hunting, though. You're not going to get there except by a helicopter.
Old May 23, 2006, 04:06 PM   #8
rapier144

I just think getting there is half the fun. But a lot of people want the easy way. That's fine for them. As for not getting there except by helicopter if an animal can walk there i can follow. May not be easy but i would enjoy it so much more and have a better memory to take with me. If i didn't get anything on that hunt so be it. Thats's what i consider to be part of the adventure not knowing if or when i will see game. Sorry if i stepped on anyones toes.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:10 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Who hunts with the help of a helicopter? Talk about lazy.
Helicopters and Bush Planes have been used for years to access remote wilderness areas in AK and NWT. The biggest reason we use this is the time factor, some areas would take you weeks if not months to hike into just to hunt. Unfortunately most of us cannot take the time out from work or the rest of our busy lives to do this so I don't see anything wrong with using Jeep, ATV, Plane, Helicopter, or Boat to get to a hunting area. Instead of being critical on the way the this person was hunting by helicopter, realize he could have just as easily fell if he had hiked up there. He was just trying to enjoy a hunt in a limited amount of time. Taking the lazy train of thought then using anything to hunt your animal besides a sharp pointy stick is lazy.

Quote:
I just think getting there is half the fun. But a lot of people want the easy way. That's fine for them. As for not getting there except by helicopter if an animal can walk there i can follow.
I understand what you are saying about if an animal can walk there why can't I. Think about this, for humans it isn't survival of the fittest and we are not adapted to live in the enviroments that most animals live in. I'll bet Mountain Goats can go places you can't without serious equipment.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:22 PM   #10
Rich Lucibella
Staff

taylorce-
Thank you.

Rapier-
Here's a Little Taste of what you'd be, umm "walking into" to do that New Zealand hunt. And another

Inquiring minds want to know:
What's the toughest hunt you ever did?
What mode of transport did you use?
How long were you gone?
How much gear did you carry?
What did you bag?
How did you get the trophy back?

I'm interested in the logistics.
Rich
Old May 23, 2006, 05:56 PM   #11
jonutarr

here's a better write up of what happened http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10383094

the original one made it seem like he jumped off the helicopter mid flight which is not true!
yep "reporters" doing what they do best
Old May 23, 2006, 07:03 PM   #12
rapier144

I understand that you need transportation to the base camp. Then hunt out of there. From the way i understood the article it didn't sound like they were at a base camp as opposed to a ridge where the game was at. I have no problem using air transport to a main base camp. The articles left a little lee-way for interpretation. When the article said ridgeline i didn't picture a base camp on a ridge with a small enough area that you can't land a helicopter and setup a base camp in the same area safely. My interpretation was they used the helicopter to an unsportmans like advantage. Like using it to get very close to the shooting range of game. If i misinterperated the article sorry.
Old May 31, 2006, 07:24 PM   #13
Spinner

Helicopters have been used for years in New Zealand for commercial meat hunting of deer, live capture of deer and "search and destroy" numbers control on goats, deer, thar and chamois. Wild animals learn real quickly about helicopters and such and now even the sound of a helicopter will have wild game animals getting the heck outa Dodge well before the chopper even gets in sight.

I doubt that the hunters were using the helicopter for anything other than transport to a hunting base, purely to save the time and effort of humping loads of gear up very steep and tricky terrain. If you're a paying hunter being guided I doubt you'd expect to be a pack mule for the first day or two of your expensive adventure.

Kia kaha
Old June 5, 2006, 01:11 PM   #14
guntotin_fool

one $1000 Dollar helo ride vs ten days on horseback,$50 per horse per day, plus guide $100 per day Plus days off of work getting in and out of there, all of a sudden the helo seems cheap.

I have used airplanes to hunt in the NWT, trying to find 'boo when they are migrating means searching a few hundred square miles. Never shot from one, never will, is my plan, the last time, had we not used an airplane to spot from, we would never have even seen boo as they were several days ahead of schedule and far from where we were looking. A T-craft costs about a $100 an hour or so to operate, can cover about 75 or so miles an hour versus maybe 4 miles an hour on foot or horseback.
Old June 5, 2006, 10:49 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

What's a boo?
Old June 5, 2006, 10:59 PM   #16
Death from Afar

Its a big aussie critter, with lots of teeth and claws and stuff. Eats children.
Old June 13, 2006, 05:37 PM   #17
Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFreedom
What's a boo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Afar
Its a big aussie critter, with lots of teeth and claws and stuff. Eats children.
Bwaaahahhahaaahhaaaahhahahaaaaaahhaaaaahaaaa *gasp* Bwaaahahaahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

Actually, I'm guessing its a Caribou since guntotin_fool was talking about migratory herds and "NWT" (which I assume is North West Territory .... of Canada).

Kia kaha