The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2002, 11:11 PM   #1
dsteinman

Hunting with a muzzle loader

I am going to use by smoke pole this year for deer hunting. After a day in the woods is it recommend to clear the bore or is it reasonable to decap and save for another day ?
Old October 11, 2002, 07:29 AM   #2
Tom Matiska

Check VA game regulations re> what is considered a loaded firearm for purposes of transportation or hunting.

In PA, game regulations require that you must remove cap/powder from flash pan, and recommend you should discharge the weapon for complete safety.

I don't trust a charge of black powder not to go off (especially considering the static shocks my seat covers have given me). Wasting a few balls into the ground in the name of safety is worth it. One of those CO2 gagets that blows the ball out is real high on my shopping list. I was wishing I had one the other day at the range.

Tom
Old October 11, 2002, 09:19 AM   #3
retiredsgt

muzzleloader

Virginia Laws state the same as those of Pa. I can tell you that if you leave you gun loaded, over night, and it is relatively cold, as it is most of the time, then leave it outside, to prevent the buildup of condensation in the gun.
Old October 11, 2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Poodleshooter

Discharge it. I've had too many hangfires from condensation. This becomes a problem when you move between a cold dry outside and a warm inside climate.
I also avoid oil in my barrel or anywhere near the nipple and cap. It's another recipe for hangfires on that first shot of hunting season.
Old October 11, 2002, 07:42 PM   #5
dsteinman

Thanks for the info on the practicality of this. I appreciate the input.

I am aware of the legalily issues, particulary those of the NoVa jurisdictions where I maintain my humble abode.. Fortunately though, wrt local ordinances I only need to be concerned with Loudoun and Fauquier.