The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2002, 02:59 PM   #1
VTR996

.45 Super Data Question

I was going over some old issues of G&A and noticed a .45 super long slide. The flatter shooting and faster seems good for longer distance shooting. Anybody have any suggestions or info. on the cartridge? Is it just a hot .45acp or are there difference's in the case, primer, etc.. I shoot mostly wheel guns is it too high pressure for a ruger? I don't see much data in any books I have, speer #13, accurate, hodgens. Just looking for something with that little bit extra to go 100yds and prove to my buddies a pistol is good for more than self defense.
Old February 11, 2002, 07:24 PM   #2
DaHaMac

Well .45Super is certainly different brass, it is stronger to hold higher pressures.

http://www.texas-ammo.com/45super.htm Good Information here.

http://www.acecustom45.com/45super.htm I believe this guys were among the first to promote the 45 Super.

I really really want a .45super 1911, of course I like such things and my wish list also includes 1911's in 10mm and .45Winchester Magnum

Fat and Slow is ok, but Fat and Fast is even better.
Old February 12, 2002, 07:35 AM   #3
Redneck2

There's a write-up

try realguns.com and look in the article archives. He shows how to make one up. Also shows the differences in brass and what needs to changed on the gun
Old February 14, 2002, 11:42 PM   #4
Desert Dog

I shoot .45 Super exclusively in a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible...

The max pressure for .45 Super is 28,000 psi. The Blackhawk will eat that pressure ammo with ease...

YMMV,

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson