The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2002, 10:26 AM   #1
tonyz

Reduced 45apc loads and ?

I am looking for some low pressure 45apc loads that are reliable and accurate, the lighter the better. I need a low recoil load. As far as powders go, I have most of the preferred handgun powders, as for bullets I use west coast plated bullets 200Gr SWC's.
Also what LB recoil spring would you recommened.
I use a Kimber Custom Eclipes as my lanch platform.

I recently purcased a 12LB recoil spring from wolff's.

Thanks Folks

Tony
Old February 6, 2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Norm Lee

puff loads

Hey Tony:

My favorite light load uses 3.9 gr of V V N310 under a 200 gr bullet. I use any of a variety of SWC. Best one has been the precision "black" bullet, but haven't seen any bad ones. You need the reduced recoil spring. 12# worked for me. 10# was OK too. 4.0 gr will usually operate a stock spring. But the action is sluggish. 4.1 will do so reliably. If you have N320, you can try 4.8 gr and probably work down from there.

I believe there are some good loads available based on bullseye, w231, and AA#2 but I have never tried BE and have only limited experience with the other 2.

Cheers,

Norm
Old February 7, 2002, 05:24 AM   #3
Northwest Cajun

My "gamer "load for my .45 is 3.5-3.7 gr Bullseye and 200 gr Berry's plated bullets. If you stand by my side you can actually watch them go down range. It's just enough to cycle the slide. Really accurate too! I havent chrono'd them yet but they should be in the 600-700 fps range
Old February 7, 2002, 06:58 AM   #4
Khornet

45ACP

My Gold Cup with light Wulff springs from Brownells, I think 10 or 12 lb, shoots just fine with as little as 3.3 grs Bullseye and 185, 152, or 200 gr lead bullets. This is the approach Col. Askins recommended in his fine 'The Art of Handgun Shooting'. But you need the light springs, and before you shoot anything more like normal power you need to go back to the heavier spring or you'll beat up your frame.
Old February 7, 2002, 09:39 AM   #5
VTR996

I stumbled on CLAYS and I really like it. I use 3.0gr with a 200gr lead swc, quite accurate, clean, and just cycles the action on my stock Charles Daly, don't know what # the spring is.
Old February 7, 2002, 09:56 AM   #6
tonyz

My 4 favorite 45ACP powders are Vihtavuori powder N340-Bullseye-Universal Clays, and Bullseye. I am using a 12LB Wolff's spring, and do know to put the original 16LB spring back in before shooting regular loads.

Thanks for the Loads keep um comming.

Tony
Old February 7, 2002, 12:17 PM   #7
grunewaj

Hey 'Cajun!

Nice to hear from somebody down there. I used to live in New Orleans. I tell you, it really spoiled me for food!

Anyway, I'm surprised you were able to load so lightly with Berry's 200 gr. It seemed like I needed a bit more (4.0 gr. seemed to work well with their 185 gr. SWC). I'll try some lighter loads again.

BTW, I may have had a bad batch, but a bunch of my 185s were smaller than spec. They replaced them with their double stuck 185s and that made a dramatic difference. I'd advise you to use their double struck bullets if available. They told me they are working to have double strike dies for all their bullets before the end of the year. Also, I should mention they are super to work with. I feel they went the extra mile to make me a happy camper.

Jim
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old February 7, 2002, 03:42 PM   #8
MADISON

Reduced 45apc loads

I never had a 12 pound recoil spring but, people with a Gold Cup told me that 3 or 4 grains of BULLSEYE was very accurate. Weather it will work your action is another question.
Old February 7, 2002, 04:50 PM   #9
grunewaj

Three grains is lighter than I've heard of. About the lightest I know of is 3.5 gr. for a 185 gr. lead SWC and 4.0 for a 200 gr. lead SWC. They will definitely work your action. I think you would need in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 # recoil spring.
Old February 13, 2002, 10:54 AM   #10
tonyz

Thanks guys with your suggested loads and some experimenting on my own I now have several great low recoil loads.

Tony
Old February 14, 2002, 07:41 PM   #11
Doug 29

The load most used by bullseye competition has always been 3.8 to 4.2 gr. of Bullseye. You need to play with the load to develop one for your particular gun. That is with a H&G #68 bullet (200 gr. SWC). My gun likes 3.8 gr. and works fine with a normal (16lb.) recoil spring.
Old February 14, 2002, 09:22 PM   #12
C.R.Sam

I have used 3.5 Bullseye with 200gr for 25yd and 4.5gr for 50yd bullseye matches.

Every gun is different.....might have to go +or- till you find the sweet spot.

Sam