The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2001, 09:33 PM   #1
nova

new gun

OK, so my dad finally decides to get a shotgun, what is involved in it? When you go to the dealer and say you want a shotgun, what is involved in the process before you can have it? THANKS!
Old December 26, 2001, 10:07 PM   #2
Benjamin

Need more info

In which country?

If USA, in which state?

Some states just require money, proof of age and background check.
Other states require a permit to purchase/possess.
Old December 27, 2001, 12:10 AM   #3
nova

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I live in Louisiana. By the way, what is involved in a background check? My dad has bought guns before, but it has been 20 years since his last purchase. Thanks for the help.
Old December 27, 2001, 02:26 AM   #4
melglock

In order to get a gun in the U.S., you have to go through the infamous Brady background check. The check works differently in different states, but in Colorado, in involves filling out the ATF gun transfer form, showing the dealer some valid ID, then the dealer calls the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's background check service and gives them what you filled out on the form. The check usually doesn't take more than fifteen minutes, assuming they aren't too busy and there are no complications.

Some of the less gun-friendly states add hassles to the procedure. California has a mandatory waiting period, Virginia has the one-gun-a-month law, Chicago requires a permit from the police to get a handgun (strangely enough, the forms to apply for the permit are unavailable.)

It doesn't appear that Louisiana has any truly obnoxious gun laws - no permit required for anything that isn't Class III, "shall issue" CCW, a bunch of hunting regulations. You should be able to get a gun in 15 minutes.
Old December 27, 2001, 12:18 PM   #5
jason10mm

So once you get a Mossberg 590, tell us how you like it

Don't let that gun dealer talk you into getting those Remington or Benelli things!! LAter.