The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Japatul

4" Holster for 3" Barrel?

Hi, all-

I feel like this is a petty thing to post but here goes: I have a S&W Trail Boss with a 3" barrel. It's an N frame model 649 if you're not familiar with it.

I want to get an OWB holster like, say, a Bianchi 5BHL, but there aren't many, if any, options for a 3" barrel.

Does it feel "wrong" to use a 4" holster for a gun with a 3" barrel. I have to admit I don't care for the idea, but I care even less for paying for a custom holster (I won't be carrying it that much).

Is this a common thing to do?

Just wondering....

Best,

Chris
Old January 2, 2016, 03:44 AM   #2
JimmyR

Personally, I think you would be better off getting a holster for a 3" gun. I have a 3" K frame, and if the holster is wet molded and form fitting, then you could probably make it work, but I would try to get one that really fits.

For what you have, consider Simply Rugged holsters. If you think you might want to carry IWB, get the "Inside Out" straps, and you get 2 holsters for one money.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old January 2, 2016, 05:57 AM   #3
Old Stony

A 5bhl should be no problem to stitch up a little shorter and trim off the excess length. I've done a number of holsters this way over the years as I like them to fit the firearm. If you aren't confident you could do it yourself, almost any little independent shoe repair shop should be able to help you for a small fee. Not a big deal...
Old January 2, 2016, 08:00 PM   #4
wpsdlrg

A Bianchi 111 Cyclone MIGHT fit your N-frame, with a little stretching (moisten the leather, insert the gun (after waxing it for protection) in the holster and then let it dry). The 111 Cyclone is designed for the 3" HB K-frames. It's what I use (for my 3" model 64's).
Old January 3, 2016, 03:48 PM   #5
SSA

I have 3" and 4" K frames. Sometimes I carry the 3" gun in the 4" 5bhl. Works just fine.
Also have a 3" holster from El Paso Saddlery.
Could also get an open-bottom belt slide.
Old January 3, 2016, 04:05 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

It will work, and not be a problem. I had to look hard for a good quality holster for a 3" J-frame and used another holster for a few weeks.

Every time I buy a pistol, I tell myself, 'There goes another $75 for a good holster'.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

No.
Yes.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 1, 2016, 11:19 AM   #8
RickB

I bought an expensive belt/holster rig for a 5" N-frame, then sold the gun. I later got a 4" gun, and don't sweat 1" difference.
I've also never bought a holster specifically sized for my 4.25" Commander, and just use all of my 5" "1911" holsters with it.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:13 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Not revolvers, but all the OWB holsters for my glock 27 are 22 or 23 holsters and it hasn't bothered me yet.