The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2013, 01:12 PM   #51
scrubcedar

The magazine capacity limits passed. What were the others that made it?
Old March 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #52
budoboy

SB 195 (Disallows online CCW training as only requirement to obtain CCW)
HB 1229 (private sale ban, increased background checks)
HB 1228 (background check fees / tax)

Ban on concealed carry on campus and the assault weapons liability bill were killed by the sponsors.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:54 PM   #53
JN01

Quote:
First: I was screaming at the monitor "Demand a roll call vote!" They kept having voice votes and in one of them the "Noes" had it and the Speaker declared the measure is passed. The only time they actually had a count was when they had an amendment to vote on.
Well, how would they be able to tell you they voted "No" come election time if their vote was recorded, you foolish Subject?
Old March 9, 2013, 04:55 PM   #54
scrubcedar

How do you enforce a private sale ban without a registration system?
Old March 9, 2013, 05:39 PM   #55
budoboy

You can't... which is why all the county sheriffs are against it.
Old March 9, 2013, 07:27 PM   #56
jimbob86

Quote:
How do you enforce a private sale ban without a registration system?
Quote:
A couple of points:

You can selectively enforce it after the fact- one more charge to stack onto anybody that the .gov does not take a shine to. "Where did you buy your hunting rifle, Joe?" "A gun show, 15 years ago." Joe is innocent until proven guilty, but he'll feel the need to get a Lawyer and go to Court anyway (or fold like a discount tent). This costs Joe money and time. It costs the prosecution money and time, but this is not exactly a fair fight- compared to Joe's resources, the prosecution's are virtually unlimited.

Having a ban on private sales brings more fear and doubt to Joe Sixpack, such that he may opt to sell his guns, or not buy them in the first place. Anything to make ownership more expensive, hazardous and inconvenient will serve to reduce ownership.

Once ownership is reduced to the point that there is no political constituancy that can defend it, then anything goes ....... this is now a Democracy, after all, because the Constitution is a "living document" and means whatever political appointees (judges) say it means.

"How does a bird eat an elephant, you ask? Why, in flocks, one bite at a time." That is the Progressive Model, in a nutshell.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:58 PM   #57
scrubcedar

Wow, I'm not sure I've seen this poorly thought out and written of laws, and these people have been fooling with the banking industry without knowing the consequences of their actions for years.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:27 PM   #58
doofus47

budoboy
Quote:
You sure about that?

http://www.timescall.com/news/longmo...-battles-state

Check out this little quote near the bottom:
Quote:
Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith has urged state legislators to fill what he sees as a safety loophole and require gun owners in Colorado to register their firearms with the government.
Hey Larimer County, time to change sheriffs...

Update: HiBC clarifies that this was a misquote below:
http://www.reporterherald.com/news/l...-solve-problem
Keep calling and writing your senators.

Last edited by doofus47; March 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarifying originally quoted article was wrong.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #59
Texascoonhunter

Colorado Gun Band

The Law Enforcement agencies will be exempt from this law on their weapons. A little is never enough. Taxes keep going up and once gun bands get started there will be no end to it until all gun are band. Voters need to make their voices heard to their representatives and make sure the Rep. knows his/her job is on the line if such a bill is passed.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:56 PM   #60
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Sheriffs from across the state have said that these laws, especially the magazine ban and universal background check bill will be unenforceable.
Don't be confused. These unenforceable laws are not being passed out of ignorance.

An unenforceable law is simply leverage to pass a stronger law the next legislative session.

Here's how it will go:
"Well, the people clearly wanted this law--obviously they want it to be enforceable too. Here's the law that will fix the problem."
Old March 10, 2013, 01:17 AM   #61
budoboy

Sorry, I should have said "most sheriffs".

I read tonight on the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners Twitter feed that El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa is filing paperwork with the attorney general of Colorado to investigate extortion and blackmail of the county sheriffs who have voiced their opposition to these gun control bills. Someone finally posted the audio of the radio show in which Sheriff Maketa brought this to light.

The audio can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHzx3ZyXRWw

Basically, an email was received by Sheriff Maketa that stated that the senate democratic leadership is very upset with the sheriffs that oppose these gun bills. The email said that they should reconsider their position to gain a more favorable light for salary support from the democrats. You can listen to the interview to get the Sheriff's side of the story.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:28 AM   #62
jimbob86

Quote:
Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith has urged state legislators to fill what he sees as a safety loophole and require gun owners in Colorado to register their firearms with the government.
Hey Larimer County, time to change sheriffs...
This the same Larimer County of "Code of the West" fame?

I guess they should have let the Snowflakes fall victim to their own stupidity ..... now they apparently run the place. They fouled their nest in California with high taxes, welfare spending and over-regulation of everything..... fled to the Front Range when things went bad, and promptly set about remaking CO in the image of the failed state they jut fled .......

My brother says he's leaving CO as soon as he is able. He says he'll take a pay cut, but what's money if you can't live free?
Old March 10, 2013, 01:43 AM   #63
budoboy

Actually that quote from Sheriff Smith incorrect.

http://larimer.org/news/newsDetail.cfm?id=1963

"Sheriff Smith actually informed the reporter on Monday that the loophole is that the state does not maintain a reliable, accessible database of convicted felons and that lawmakers are ignoring requests to do so. The Sheriff believes that getting this information into the hands of officers in the field would give them the tools to get guns out of the hands of those we all agree should not have them."
Old March 10, 2013, 04:32 AM   #64
HiBC

Sheriff Justin Smith

Justin Smith is MY sheriff.

He has been fighting these laws all the way.He strongly supports the Constitution and the RTKBA.Doofus and whoever else that are making negative comments are just plain wrong.

I strongly suggest that you all go to the link I will provide,and read the day by day fight he has been waging for us.Please do,then decide who to believe.

https://www.facebook.com/SheriffJustinSmith?fref=ts

Trashing one of the best friends we have is stupid and wrong.Get you facts straight.

Thank you,Sheriff Justin Smith!!
Old March 10, 2013, 04:54 AM   #65
HiBC

There was a post on Sheriff's Smiths facebook page regarding a reporter who misquoted him.

She met with the Sheriff and re-wrote her article

http://www.reporterherald.com/news/l...-solve-problem

Sheriff Smith clearly says tracking/registering firearms is NOT the solution.

He also stated when an officer needs a firearm to protect him/herself that magazine capacity is a good thing to have,AND THEN HE SAYS THE PRIVATE CITIZEN HAS THE SAME NEED/RIGHT TO SELF PROTECTION...MAGAZINE CAPACITY..AS HIS OFFICERS

I hope at least some folks will go to these links,find out who Sheriff Smith is,and post comments here .

Last edited by HiBC; March 10, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:40 AM   #66
wet

I'm sorry, but buisnesses in Colorado will go on my list of "do not spend money there" list.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #67
jimbob86

Quote:
Sheriff Smith actually informed the reporter on Monday that the loophole is that the state does not maintain a reliable, accessible database of convicted felons
In the eyes of many "journalists", convicted felons and gun owners are 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of another. Some believe this so fervently, that they hear what they want to hear, and report it accordingly.

Others hear just fine, but have an agenda, and will write what they want the LIVs out there to hear...... if they get called on it, they'll fix it in the online version, days later, and print a correction burried on page 12 .....

Either way, the damage is done.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #68
Southwest Chuck

For those watching the progress of CO's Gun Bills, here is a link to the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners site that lists the current bills and the status of each.
http://www.rmgo.org/political/gun-laws/billwatch
Old March 11, 2013, 01:46 PM   #69
zxcvbob

Quote:
I'm in CO, I just bought a used Mossberg 500a and I'm a little confused. The bill as it stands right now says "CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT CAN BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION OR MORE THAN EIGHT SHOTGUN SHELLS.

As far as I can tell, the Mossberg 500a does not have commercially available options for extending the magazine beyond 8 rounds. Does that mean it can't "be readily converted"?

Again, if you have basic mechanical or machining skills, you could make a tube magazine hold 50 rounds(although it would be quite long), but the average Joe user isn't going to fabricate something like that.

Who knows what the "amendment" they will introduce on Monday says. My guess is it will exclude tube fed shotguns. The ones they really want to get rid of are the detachable magazine shotguns(Saiga, etc.).
It doesn't say what length shells, does it? Or that they actually have to feed reliably. Or that you have any shells.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/255...shot-box-of-20
Old March 11, 2013, 02:16 PM   #70
budoboy

They actually amended the bill to say that a shotgun tubular magazine can't hold more that 28" of shells. So that would be 16 of those little Aguilas.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:21 AM   #71
Tom Servo
Staff

According to a statement from Magpul, Governor Hickenlooper intends to sign the bill.

Magpul's legal counsel has a very good summation of the legal ramifications of the bill [pdf] which points out that it bans all external magazines.