The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

SKS: Was this a good buy?

Guys, just out of curiosity, I just won this on gunbroker. WAS $410, but some jackass bidded me up...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326542913

Yugo M59 (apparently in original config, not M59/66) with all matching numbers in the 40,000's except the trigger group (400,000). It does have gorgeous wood and is in great shape.

I don't know if matching numbers are a huge deal and I'm kind of finicky about those things. Should I worry about it?

I'm kind of beating myself up over this. I seen a nice chinese model which I could've gotten for $450, but out the door would have costed me $520. Out the door, this will cost me about $480, but I can ship to another FFL if I'm in the area, and it would be $465.

I could also be a jerk and not take it, but I've done that once and feeling bad, I immediately told I would pay the auction fee for the trouble. The seller agreed.

As far as the current situation, and the fact that SKS's are only going to go up, as well as our situation in NY, do you think I did alright?
Old January 28, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
stu925

At this point the question is really are you having buyer's remorse? If you're happy with the price that's all that matters, if you're buying as an investment you probably won't make much if any on it. Prices have been going up on these rifles for year and will eventually top out if they haven't already. If you're happy with the rifle and not upset about the price then you did fine. Regarding the non matching numbers, I wouldn't buy an SKS without matching numbers, in fact about the only rifles I would consider without matching numbers would be a Mauser 98, Garand, M1 Carbine, something along those lines. Mosin or an SKS with non matching numbers and I'd pass but that just the way I am.

Stu
Old January 29, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
GunXpatriot

Thanks for the info stu. Hypothetically, if the numvers were all matching, as well as this being an original m59, with nice wood (to someone who would perhaps pay a bit more because of it) and considering the current situation with firearms, would you personally say this was a good buy? You're right, its really just what im willing to spend, i suppose.

To be honest, I got this SKS just to have one, knew 100 percent that as an investment, it would be ****-poor.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Skans

It's a bit high, but in the grand scheme of things, would you rather have an SKS or $50 - $100 extra dollars?
Old January 29, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
stu925

If the numbers matched I don't think $465 would be a terrible deal. If I found a nice M59 at that price with matching numbers I would probably give it serious thought. If I were buying a non matching gun at a show or dealer, I'd try to get the guy to come down $50-75. The only SKS I'm looking for right now is a decently priced Russian or an East German (may never find one of those) so I'd probably hold out for one of those instead but I'd have to at least consider the M59. You'll love the SKS they're a lot of fun to shoot and mine shoots pretty well 3-4" groups at 100 yds which with Iron sights is about the best I can hope for.

Stu
Old January 29, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6
tgreening

I've found that after the purchase, no matter what is bought, is the absolute worst time to ask "did I get a good deal". By then it's a moot point. The money is spent, there's nothing you can do about it, and asking and finding out you got screwed six ways from sunday accomplishes nothing except ruin your otherwise good day, and give everyone else fodder to harass you with.

I'm under no circumstances going to ask anyone if the $3,500 I spent a week ago on a used S&W Sport was a good deal.