The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Gdawgs

MEC shotgun reloader

Just got a MEC 410 reloader. I have never used one of these guys before, so not sure if this is normal or not. But on the resizing station, it's shaving off the brass instead of actually resizing like I'm used to with handgun reloading. Is that normal for these? After doing 25 shells, there is a pretty good pile of brass shavings. Shotgun reloading is kind of like neanderthal reloading compared to handgun/rifle reloading. But it's fun.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
wild willy

Take a stone or emory cloth and just round the edge a little then polish it. Don't do the whole ring just the bottom edge.Some come from Mec with a little taper and some have a square edge.I had to do one of mine. You might still shave a little but it will help.
Old September 3, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Gdawgs

Thanks Willy, I'll give that a try. I ordered another sizing ring, so maybe that one will be better.
Old September 3, 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
I ordered another sizing ring, so maybe that one will be better.
You should probably contact MEC. If the sizing ring is shaving brass, it's defective and should be replaced by the manufacturer for free.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 4, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
243winxb

The sizing ring may be adjusted to low.
Old September 5, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Gdawgs

The sizing ring height was correct.
I sent MEC an email asking about it, and they basically told me to do the same thing that Wild Willy recommended. So I took some fine emory paper, gave it a few swipes, then put a small dab of Lee resizing lube on the ring. All is good now. Thanks for the input.