The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 3, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Vermonter

Sig Acadamy?

Being that it is a two hour drive at a straight shot for me This seems to be the most reputable trainiing within a two hour drive of my location in VT. That being said $200 seems reasonable for a decent course.

I am looking for reviews of this place in particular. I have read other reviews and it seems that there is a general disagreement of their levels. Some say even the intermediate stuff still covers basics at length while others say they are just fine.

I am specifically looking for folks who have attened and reccomendations on what level to start out with.

With Kind Regards, Vermonter
Old May 3, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Dewhitewolf

Let us know one way or the other. I would also like to hear some first hand reviews.

I'd like to attend courses at SigSauer Academy, but the cost of gas, hotel, etc. just makes it not cost effective for me.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
MK11

I've attended several class at Sig, including Defensive Pistol, Defensive Rifle, Defensive Revolver and Defensive Folding Knife.

This was close to 10 years ago, so the staff has changed a couple times, and I imagine the curriculum has as well. At the time, I thought it was an excellent program, particularly if you haven't been through other training before. (At the time, Sig threw in the ammo with the training fee, which made it an even better deal).

If you are new to firearms, start with their most basic course. If you are somewhat experienced, go for a more intermediate course like Defensive Pistol.

It was good training and safe, many of the techniques I've retained to this day (if not the skill) and dynamic training is so fun that it will ruin you for the square range for a while after.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Vermonter

MK

I am advanced for a civi I suppose. I am in no way new to firearms so I figure something intermediate would be good. I watched every youtube vid they have on their channel and it looks legit.

I will sign up for one of the one day events ths summer and see how it goes. Keep it coming folks the more feedback the better off we will be.

Regards, Vermonter
Old May 4, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Noreaster

I've been going to Sig for some time now, (first class was 2001.) The staff has changed but the current instructors are outstanding. I highly recommend their programs. Also if your in the market for a new firearm the student discount is substantial. The only problem may be ammunition. Most of the courses I took required frangible. If you don't have frangible they can provide it.

I can't give you advice on levels. I've always attend the LEO classes. No experience with the civilian side but I know the instructors are the same for both.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Vermonter

Student Discount

Like most of us I figure I am always "in the market" for a new toy. Never owned a sig so I figure there is a first time for everything. I don't shoot frangible so I figure I will have to pay for some on sight.

I understand they allow for the use of any equipmennt you may need including a firearm and holster. That seems like it would be neat to try then again I figure it would make more sense to train with something I own myself.

Regards, Vermonter
Old May 4, 2012, 03:21 PM   #7
mtuchris

I took the basic handgun 101 class this winter. Excellent class, when I have the funds I am going to the next one. The instructors last name was Cavalero (sp?). Good guy, I would even request him for next time. I have been shooting informally, on and off since I was a kid and thought the beginner class might be beneath my skill level, but it was the first formal training I have had and I learned more than I expected. Every now and then, Sig Academy has a deal on Living Social, (similar to groupon) for half off certain classes. Usually the lower level classes.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Vermonter

Living Social Deal

Chris that sounds awesome I will look into it for sure.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Noreaster

Follow up comment. I'm a police officer and firearms instructor. I was US Army Infantry. One of the courses I took at Sig was patrol rifle instructor. Given my 11B background I felt pretty good with an AR15. I learned so much in that class. I feel much more confident with the M4/ar15 platform now.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Vermonter

Noreaster

If an instructor can learn from it I am sure I can as well.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:55 AM   #11
ATW525

I took their Basic Practical Handgun Skills course back in 2005. As the name implies, it was a very basic class where we started with classroom instruction, then dry fire, the live fire while we worked back towards the holster. I can't comment on their intermediate stuff, but I will the instructors were top notch.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:00 AM   #12
kraigwy

I've never been to the Sig Acadamy but here is a review from one who has.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...56#Post3304156
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 8, 2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Vermonter

kraig

Hmm don't like the sounds of the teaching mentality from that review. I am thingking more handgun tactics than percision rifle but still if the mentality is the same I don't like what I read.

I have very limited rescourses here in VT due to travel needs. Work doesn't permit me to get away for very long so I would have to be within reach of a one or two day trip.

Regards, Vermonter
Old May 8, 2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Kit12

I've taken 3 classes there (shotgun , Handgun 1 and 2).

I also got to watch the "guns on cars' class which looked like a ton of run ( I had a broken finger , so could not shoot)

As to class level, call or email Kathleen , she's helpful and will advise.
She shoots, she's worked there for years.

Kit
Old May 9, 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
ATW525

Quote:
Hmm don't like the sounds of the teaching mentality from that review. I am thingking more handgun tactics than percision rifle but still if the mentality is the same I don't like what I read.
The class I took was nothing like that. The instructors were very hands on and helpful. I was really impressed with both their approachability and their ability to work with people to correct mistakes.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:47 AM   #16
locnload

There have been some great videos on the "Shooting Illustrated" web site of several different Sig Sauer Academy classes. Everything from active shooter/small team tatics to hand to hand and disarming skills. Don't know if they are still up or not but definately worth a look.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Vermonter

Videos

Didn't see any on that sight that involved the sig academy however I did watch a few cool vids. Didn't know that url existed so thanks for sharing.