The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 6, 2004, 07:53 PM   #1
imq707s

Removing magazine tube on Mossberg 500

While I was doing some shooting this weekend, the spring inside the magazine tube on my Mossberg 500 got bound up. I'm not really sure how or why this happened, but I need to remove the magazine tube to remove the spring and find out what the problem is. I've got the gun pulled apart all the way down to the reciever and the magazine tube. I've tried wrapping a cloth around the magazine tube and using a pair of vise-grips to unscrew it, but it won't budge. I've even tried spraying it down with WD-40 several times, but the thing just won't budge. From what I've been told, the magazine tube should unscrew pretty easy. What am I doing wrong? Why won't this thing come off?

Thanks
Old September 6, 2004, 10:07 PM   #2
scottys1

They use some kind of locktite 9000 on the mag tube threads. My best results have come from securing the end of the mag tube in a vise with a leather pad (be careful of denting the mag tube) and turning the receiver by hand. After the first removal, removing it again will be much easier.
Old September 7, 2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

Also, you can use one of the new synthetic strap wrenches sold by Sears.

With the strap wrench you can grip the tube closer to the receiver, and there's much less chance of damaging the tube.
Old September 7, 2004, 09:45 PM   #4
imq707s

Well I haven't tried a strap wrench yet, but I've tried a pair of visegrips with some protector pads on the teeth to keep from damaging the tube. Even with the visgrips the thing won't budge, the visegrips just slip. I'm affraid that if I tighten them up any tighter, I'm going to crush the tube. Are there any other tricks that might break this thing loose? Can I try heating the joint with a heat gun to see if that loosens the factory lock-tite that is on there? Am I the only one that's ever had a problem taking a magazine tube off of a Mossberg 500?

One more question, if I just happen to get to brave and I damage the magazine tube....how much will a new one cost me? Are there any aftermarget magazine tubes that are better than the factory one?

Thanks again for the help....this thing is driving me nuts
Old September 7, 2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

EASY on the heat. Most Loctite breaks down around 300 degrees or so, and that's not all that hot.

Also, excessive heat will damage the spring and follower.
I think the Mossberg follower is plastic, so try to protect it if you can.

Use a strap wrench, since unlike vises and Vise-grips, there's much less chance of damaging the tube.

New mag tubes are available for about $30.00.
As far as I know, nobody makes a replacement other than Mossberg.
Old September 8, 2004, 08:10 PM   #6
imq707s

Well.....I finally got it off.

I ended up buying one of those strap wrenches and it worked......BUT......I must have dented the tube a little when I was trying to get the tube off with the visegrips the other day. The plug that slides in and out of the tube gets jammed right at the end about 1" before the threads. I can feel 2 dents inside the tube from where I clamped on it with the visegrips. I've tried sanding the bumps down on the inside of the tube, but it doesn't help.

Where is the cheapest place to order a new magazine tube and spring for my Mossbgerg 500A ?

Thanks again for the help.
Old September 9, 2004, 12:31 AM   #7
Dfariswheel

Brownell's have them, and so does Gun Parts.

Brownell's will likely be faster, the price is the same.

You might also go direct to Mossberg, but it might take longer.

http://www.brownells.com
http://www.e-gunparts.com