The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

Superior/Champion/Safeguard safes

I am need of getting a gun safe and moving my gun cabinet for other purposes.

Because of size and weight and types of guns a relatively small safe works.

My requirements are: height up to ceiling level of 8 feet, width not more than 30 inches and depth in the 20-maybe 23 inches.

Fire rating of 60 minutes should do.

My reasons for the safe are Fire, Grandkids prying eyes and hands when they visit and the smash and grab burglar.

I have narrowed my search to the safes in the title because they seem pretty solid for the dollars, but will be happy to hear of others.

The weight of these safes above is 525-550 pounds and with guns in them they will be heavier.

Currently I have only 5 long guns with three of those having scopes and would like to keep magazines in two of those three (not an absolute). I also have sixteen handguns with two bein AR15 and AK pistols plus a Mossbergs in 590 shockwave and 500 Persuader.

Ammo, or most of it, will go elsewhere.

I wish my house could handle a bigger safe, but I am about at the end of my gun buying days so I do not expect to need a bigger safe.

If any of you have either of these safes, I would appreciate what you think of them.

Also, since I do not live very close to a dealer, how have you shipped safes and what did you do to get it in your house. I am too old and somewhat disabled to play he-man any more.

Thanks for any help.
Old July 23, 2018, 01:28 PM   #2
RC20

I can say in safes in general, handgun storage is an issue if you also have long guns.

30 inches is plenty wide for the long guns, if it has a shelf system down one side option then the hand guns should be ok.

I do suggest that you ensure its bolted to floor (concrete) of if its wood floor, then floor and lags into the all. People will move heavy objects if they have 3 people.

I think mine holds about 5 or 6 long guns but that only leaves a top shelf and until I got rid of a few guns, it was a problem. Fewer than yours.
Old July 28, 2018, 09:44 PM   #3
weaselfire

These are mid-level safes. Better than some, not as good as others. Not the greatest for fire, not bad for kids or quick burglaries. You'd do better with a Liberty or similar.

Pay for delivery and installation of the safe if not included. Just a whole lot easier. Bolt down and to the wall. Make sure you have keys and not just electronic. Whatever you buy will be too small, that's a fact of life. Accessories can improve usability and increase capacity, plenty of options there. Humidity can be an issue to deal with. Power outlet in the safe is desireable.

Best advice? Look at the guarantees. That's the best layman's method of comparison.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2018, 09:49 PM   #4
FITASC

Scopes, pistol grips, etc. will decrease your gun capacity by 1/2 to 2/3 so go for size accordingly.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 29, 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
RC20

I measured mine. Its 13 inches wide.

I woudl say its limited to 6 hand guns unless you want to stack them on top of each other.

53" high? That allows most rifles x about 6 but gets iffy to impossible with a 26 inch barrel (usually not an issue but.....) 5 is more usable.

If you want more pistol store higher and get another shelf but at a guess that would be 12" and or wider.

In talking to our house insurer, his comment was, count on any ting above foundation being gone. If you have stuff to keep, a fire proof in the crawlspace and partly buried!

My observations have been they either snuff it early or its a total loss.

Interesting that insurance expect the foundation to be intact and that part is not insured. At least a block foundation.
Old July 29, 2018, 04:10 PM   #6
dontcatchmany

I appreciate your replies.

I am looking at other brands, but most fit the height and width parameter, but the depth is usually too deep by time I add handle/turnstile. With half long gun and half shelves with a door organizer and other ways to store handguns hanging on the shelves I should be able to accommodate the guns I have in the Superior or Champion. I also have a small Sentry safe that I use for important documents and I have put handguns in it temporarily when kids are around which is very seldom.

I would like to see the safe before purchasing, but I do not have a dealer within 150 miles who has a save similar to what I can accommodate.

I looked at a Liberty Centurion that would work for kids and smash and grab theives but the fire rating was lower than Superior.

Steelwater has a couple of models close to my sizes butt are deeper that 23 inches but look acceptable with some inconvenience.

Oh, I am going to reinforce the flooring and bolt the safe to the flooring (not concrete).

Again Thanks folks! The research continues.
Old August 24, 2018, 06:09 AM   #7
dontcatchmany

Again, I appreciate the replies.

Got an American Security safe delivered and set up day before yesterday. On sale and Free shipping. The thing fits perfectly in the space I set aside for it.

This thing is solid. Took three strong young guys a lot of straining and hard breathing to get it up six steps and into the house on a heavy duty dolly. I paid them well because they had been doing landscaping elsewhere all day and were worn out after the safe.

Mechanical lock works great. Has plenty of room for 5 long guns, 14 handguns plus 2 ak/ar pistols. Ammo is in another safe/cabinet. Still have to find room for a 590 Shockwave and a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Still have some area and pouches in door organizer that can hold something.

Got more room in my home office once I get the room better organized.

Flooring was reinforced under house with jacks.
Old August 26, 2018, 03:23 PM   #8
RC20

I bolted ours through the floor and covered up the bolt heat with plywood in the crawl space.

I also lagged it into the studs behind it. You can get it out but it would be a many hour fight.

While not fireproof the FD is two blocks away, do the best you can with what you got.

Best place int he garage is taken up by a freezer, drats, what was I thinking?