The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Dobe

Winchester 1885 (new) vs. Ruger No 1

For hunting white-tail and target shooting, what is your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Drm50

I've had 2 hi walls, a rebarrel in 219 Zipper , Douglas barrel and it was a tack
driver. Also had original no frills 32/20 which also was a good shooter but I didn't
want to D&T original gun for scope. I also had a couple Brownings. Now all I have is Rugers in 223, 375w, 44mg & 45/70. I'm using #3 / 375 Win for deer
this year. I'm in Ohio so can't use a bottleneck cartridge. I shot several deer with
#1/ 30-06 and one with 45/70, both scoped. I like both the only thing I can say
is I don't like 45/70 for deer hunting. Has nothing to do with recoil. The catridges available like 338 & 300 kick worse. I know I had them both. I think ideal #1
would be a 308 unless you are going after big bears. The only draw back with
the Rugers are the sights. I like peep sights and Ruger doesn't have many options to mount them. I only had one finicky #1 and it was heavy barrel 220 Swift. My Bro has a International 243/ 2x7 Leupold which is a nice rig and seems
to group with anything he puts in it.
Old November 12, 2018, 10:18 PM   #3
mehavey

Both are uniquely their own classic style, and both equally competent/accurate for what you want.

If you're going tang/aperture sights -- the High Wall
If you're going to scope it -- the #1
Old November 13, 2018, 05:19 AM   #4
eastbank

I own several ruger #1,s and ruger #3,s along with two sharps and several high walls and one low wall. that being said the high walls and low wall and sharps shot better out of the box, while most of the rugers took some tinkering to make more than deer hunters out of them. the worst ruger, a ruger #1 RSI in 3006, even after doing major work on the rifle and reloads it was a 4 moa at best rifle from the bench at 100 yards with a leupold 12x target scope. on the other side a ruger #3 in 45-70 will shoot close to one " groups from the bench with the same 12x leupold scope with no work at all. if you like a external hammer the high wall may be for you, if you like a internal hammer the ruger may be for you.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:44 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

I have had both and in the long run the Winchester 1885 and the Browning 1885 are still with me. The Ruger is long gone. It never shot well and the workmanship wasn't even close to the Miroku made 1885's. My Win 1885 is easily a sub 1moa gun in 45-70 with several different loads. Ruger makes good guns, I just don't believe that they've ever made great guns. They're basically usable and sometimes require a lot of work to make them good.
Old November 13, 2018, 12:56 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

It's a Ford vs Chevy comparison. Neither is a target rifle. Either will do nicely for shooting targets(ain't the same thing) depending on the chambering.
The Winchester's MSRP is a bit lower. Most Ruger No. 1's are only available through Ruger Distributors too. No MSRP given for them. Doesn't mean they have any either.
Any chance you can fondle 'em both in a local shop? One of 'em will speak to you more than the other.
Old November 13, 2018, 01:00 PM   #7
mete

My Browning [Miroku ] 1885 is a keeper .Though never used for target it's very accurate .For hunting it's a winner I always use a 300 gr factory load and found the standard bullets to fragile for within 100 yds. Switching to a Barnes bullet solved that problem and I'm now a Barnes fan for the 45-70 and 44 Mag . ! The Miroku is very well made . I did some engraving as those side plates beg for that but simple for my skill levels .
Old November 13, 2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Dobe

Winchester 1885 (new) vs. Ruger No 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
My Browning [Miroku ] 1885 is a keeper .Though never used for target it's very accurate .For hunting it's a winner I always use a 300 gr factory load and found the standard bullets to fragile for within 100 yds. Switching to a Barnes bullet solved that problem and I'm now a Barnes fan for the 45-70 and 44 Mag . ! The Miroku is very well made . I did some engraving as those side plates beg for that but simple for my skill levels .

I bet it’s beautiful. You need to post some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dobe; November 13, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old November 13, 2018, 03:51 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Neither is a target rifle
Probably ought to tell all the competitors shooting these at long range silhouette. The Browning/Miroku is a very winning gun. Mine will shoot sub 1moa at 100 yards. Not bad for a big bore 45-70. The Browning BPCR is a dedicated target gun. It will shoot circles around the Ruger.
Old November 13, 2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Charlie98

An Uberti 1885 High Wall is at the top of the To Do list at the moment. I'd love a Browning, too, if I could find one in the right configuration.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 13, 2018, 10:11 PM   #11
Drm50

I think the Ruger #1s have come down in quality over the years, just as the 77
did. I have seen newer guns that didn't impress me on accuracy. I know a guy that has a Ruger Lyman 45/70 that is built to mimick a Win Hi-wall or Sharps.
He does some very impressive groups with it. My brother has a limited run #1
in 6mm PPC and it is target rifle accurate. I think the finish and fitting on the special run models is a lot better than new off the rack models. If you take a older #1 and compare it to a new one you can detect this by eye. I use to buy Rugers when a new one hit the market. I don't anymore, last new Ruger I bought was 77/22 when it was first out.
Old November 14, 2018, 02:41 PM   #12
reynolds357

I would consider neither to be tack drivers, of course some will be. The #1 is a beast of an action. It is Mark V level of strength.
Old November 14, 2018, 05:15 PM   #13
Paul B.

Well I I can come close to what the OP is looking for, maybe? Seriously I have 19 Ruger #1's in various configurations but only one Browning High Wall and it's a 30-06.

I'll compare the B78 30-06 with a Ruger #1B, also in 30-06 and try to keep it fair. First off, weight; the Ruger is a bit heavy but the Browning is definitely heavier. The barrel on the Browning is definitely fatter. Both barrels are round. Neither trigger is all that great but one can get used to it. I find the Ruger a little easier to do a rapid reload when on a hunt. The Browning still not bad but as I said, the Ruger seems easier.

On accuracy I find the Browning to be the more accurate of the three. Three? Yes three as I have two Ruger #1B models in 30-06 and the Browning outshoots both Rugers. To be honest, the Rugers are the "red pad" models most of which came with Wilson barrels. Some of those barrels were not so hot, to be kind and some were outright fecal material. Still more than half my #1's are MOA or better. I understand the "black pad" Rugers have barrels by Ruger now and are usually pretty good shooters. I haven't checked a late model Ruger of any type but all my #1's and M77s do not have the wood sealed on the inside. Learned that one the hard way after getting caught in a heavy rain shower in eastern Oregon on an elk hunt. I have not seen that as a problem in the Browning.

I think the Ruger, especially one with nice wood is slightly more classy than the Browning. I do wish more of those early Rugers had better barrels but they are what they are. I've heard that Ruger's accuracy standard is 2" at 50 yards to 2" at 100 yards depending on who answers the question. Dunno what Browning's standards are but based on the one I have probably higher than Rugers.

I guess I only have a couple of gripes on the Browning. The trigger is a given, and that super glossy finish that ends up cracking along the grain pattern is something I would rather do without. My biggest gripe? Try lowering the hammer to half cock after chambering a round with a low mounted scope in place. T'ain't easy. I understand there is supposed to be some kind of side extension to alleviate the problem but I've never bothered. I only use the Browning at the range as a cast bullet gun so the rifle is either loaded to shoot or open one the bench. I do consider it a safety issue. The 1885 may handle that differently.

Paul B.