The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 1999, 10:52 PM   #1
Wyattcoyote

Here's a hard question for which I haven't found any hard and fast answers:

I have a Colt imported Sako L461 in .222 Rem Mag. It has the Colt medallion on the stock, the action is marked L461, and the barrel is marked with the caliber designation and "W.H. Hobaugh" underneath it. People have tried to tell me that it must be rebarreled, but I am not so sure. On the underside of the barrel it is stamped with numbers that match the receiver, in the same script. I assume that perhaps the action and stock were imported from Sako by Colt, and Colt subcontracted the barreling. Any illumination? Anybody know who W.H. Hobaugh was or is? I can go to the Gun Trader's Guide and verify that this Colt/Sako model did indeed exist, but I want to know more. How many were made would be another good bit of info.

The rifle by the way, IS a shooter. .5" groups are pretty common at 100 yds. Definitely a keeper.

Wade
Old November 26, 1999, 07:19 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The only Colt rifle that I can find that meets that description and caliber is the Coltsman Model of 1961, Custom Rifle. It comes with a SAKO action, Calibers .222, .222 Mag,.223, .243, .264, .270, 308, 30-06 and 300 H&H Mag, This rifle was mfg'd from 1963-1965.

The cusotm model had French Walnut stock, rear leaf sight, Monte Carlo comb, rosewood forend tip and grip cap, skip checkering, recoil pad, sling swivels.
There was also a standard model made in this model except much plainer, American Walnut stock and made in the same year era.
HJN
Old November 26, 1999, 10:15 AM   #3
Wyattcoyote

Like I said, I have that info from the Gun Trader's Guide. I'm hoping to go further and find out how many were produced, who W.H. Hobaugh was, etc. Mine is the standard model. So far, I have been able to turn up nothing, so the next step is to go to Colt, I guess. I haven't ever seen another one, so I don't have anything to compare it to. If I could find another one and see how its barrel was marked, that would tell me a lot. Darn, now I'm on a quest!
Old November 26, 1999, 10:57 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, didn't mean to bother you

HJN
Old November 26, 1999, 01:30 PM   #5
Wyattcoyote

Bother, heck. You were trying to help. I just need info that evidently isn't readily available. Any idea who I might contact at Colt?
Old November 26, 1999, 08:22 PM   #6
Wyattcoyote

Gee, Protoolman, that looks like YOUR email address. Aren't you that Ruger fanatic who stalks the forums??? Have you actually ever touched a Sako, or heard the angels sing as the trigger broke cleanly on the fifth shot of a half-minute group?

Wyattearp