The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1
DimitriS

Shooting BP Traditional rifles is "cool".

Well I was talking to my girl about getting myself a BP Whitworth. And she wants one to go hunting with me too!

Interestingly enough she was undecided about guns but felt they were unsafe when we first met and agisnt hunting. Now a mear half a year later she wants one of her own.

So anyways I'll stop my little rant but this means I am going to be spending more money on BP rifles then I though She asked me for a website with them and I gave her Dixie's and she picked out: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=882

Its a 58cal rifle with a 24inch long barrel called "Cook and Brother Carbine" Do you think that this will have enough power to kill a deer ??

She'd prefer a carbine because shes abit short in height. But I am unsure of this will be ok or not for hunting.

Thanks in advance for the replys

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 9, 2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Low Key

With 60 Gr of blackpowder and a .570 ball, that rifle ought to knock a deer on its butt! I'd hunt with it, no worries!
Old December 9, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Remington kid

Thats a good one for sure but.... .58 caliber is a little stiff for a lady and not needed at all to hunt deer or Bear in the US or Canada. If you are going to Moose or Griz then it would be a good choice.
Also if you really want a reliable short muzzle loader that was the best gun any mountain man could own then you may want one of these "Hawkins" in .50 caliber. Just a suggestion and much cheaper to buy and as accurate as you can get.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...141&id=0006567
Old December 9, 2005, 03:49 PM   #4
DimitriS

Wow fast replys Lowkey and RK Thanks

Quote:
If you are going to Moose or Griz then it would be a good choice.
As a matter of fact yes it might be used for moose. I think thats what got her interested in hunting the most. Because I was telling her that when most people I know go moose hunting (I am hoping to go next fall ) go there for a month or so stright out in the woods in Northern Ontario. She loves the outdoors and she says spending a month in the outdoors with me would be fun

She really wants this carbine compare to the rest of them that she looked at so its more or less for me anyways to try and figure out the limitations of it. I will be with her the whole time I wouldnt let her wander in the bush alone so I'd be able to help her pick what to shoot and what not to.

This carbine will be hers for moose and deer. If you both think it will work thats great news I rather not have to tell her it wont be strong enough and make her upset. Sorry I have a soft spot about making her sad I just cant do it

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 9, 2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Remington kid

No problem with that gun working for whatever you want to hunt. By the way, you better hang on to that girl friend of your's.... There are a lot of guy's out there who would love to have there wife or grilfriend show some interest in there shooting, hunting , fishing and just being in the woods.
She sounds like a keeper to me!
Old December 9, 2005, 04:20 PM   #6
DimitriS

RK,

Oh yes shes a keeper if she wasnt a keeper I wouldnt be thinking about spending this much money on something for her

I am just glad that she picked a BP ML that can take anything we decided to go for. Deer and moose is about it to be honest. Maybe some jackrabbits too. I love rabbit stew.

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 9, 2005, 04:24 PM   #7
hawken50

Quote:
.58 caliber is a little stiff for a lady
one of the great things about muzzle loaders is you can taylor your loads on the spot. if 60grns kicks too hard, drop the next one down to 50, get used to that, then slowly work back up.
Old December 9, 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
DimitriS

hawken50,

Thats a good idea.

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083