The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2018, 07:47 AM   #51
TunnelRat

Hopefully people realize the difference between cover and concealment. A good instructor should go over that at some level. If people choose not to educate themselves further then they'll learn the hard way. While I may disagree with some of his methods or caution against drawing conclusions from singular or small sample size tests, Harrell's videos at least do offer some info to those without the money or access to training. Some information is at least out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old April 18, 2018, 08:26 AM   #52
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Hopefully people realize the difference between cover and concealment. A good instructor should go over that at some level. If people choose not to educate themselves further then they'll learn the hard way. While I may disagree with some of his methods or caution against drawing conclusions from singular or small sample size tests, Harrell's videos at least do offer some info to those without the money or access to training. Some information is at least out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I really like Paul Harrell's YouTube videos. He has a lot of skill and experience but doesn't come off as arrogant or "there is only one way, my way."
Old April 18, 2018, 04:53 PM   #53
Fishbed77

Quote:
To play devil's advocate, how much does it being the standard NATO round have to do with that?
The 9x19 Parabellum cartridge was in wide use long before NATO ever existed.
Old April 20, 2018, 02:59 PM   #54
propforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonfire View Post
Well, my dept made the transition from .40 cal Glock 22/27 to 9mm Glock 17/43. I have to say I am not a huge fan of Glocks, just personal opinion, but I like the Gen4 G17 compared to the Gen3 G22. I thought the dimensions were same between them, but the Gen4 G17 feels soooo much better, both thinner and more comfortable. I also prefer 9mm over .40 cal for follow up shots and number of rounds you're able to carry. Fill it with Hornady Critical Duty and I'm a happy camper.

You'll be really happy when they down size to .32ACP
Old April 22, 2018, 04:13 PM   #55
sigxder

The 9mm will do about the same thing any other of the service calibers will do. With less recoil, muzzle blast, more rounds, cheaper practice. The departments that use them with good loads have no problems with the ability to put someone down. If you do your part.
Regardless of all the different caliber fan boys no pistol is a great stopper. Glock 17 is a proven commodity worldwide. Has been for a long time. Except for deep cover I would prefer the 26 myself for off duty or concealed work. Just get good with your weapon. Old saying but true. You are the weapon. The gun is a tool. Stopping power is hitting the right spot, and repeat as necessary. Regardless of caliber. Glad you like your G17.
Old April 22, 2018, 08:29 PM   #56
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
The 9mm will do about the same thing any other of the service calibers will do...
I think we can safely infer from Paul's video and other sources that this statement will probably be true most of the time. If you'd consider the difference marginal, then it matters where margins matter. For instance, in the FBI case or Paul's meat target, we were looking at penetration through at least four layers of fabric, and an arm, and the ribs, lung tissue, etc. In that kind of situation, the extra power of the .40 S&W was helpful. It might also be helpful in other odd-angle shots or when shot placement is just a little off from something vital. I think it just boils down to whether those margins are worth giving up a couple rounds and taking on a little more "snap".

At least for me, the answer is "yes" if I'm already carrying a full-sized gun that is comfortable to shoot in .40 S&W. If I'm carrying something more compact, the answer is going to be "no" and 9mm is just fine.