The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2021, 11:12 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Unknown primers

I have about a hundred rounds of .223 ammo that was loaded by who the hell knows and I'm not going to shoot them... It came out of an estate from a friend of mine that would shoot unknown reloads.

Anyway the plan is to at a minimum pull them down and salvage the bullets. However in these lean times, I'm thinking of refilling the cases with a minimum load of 3031 since I have plenty of it. The problem in my mind at least is the primers are unknown. I could just pop them out and replace them with the CCI primers I have on hand...

How many of you guys would just refill the cases with a known quantity of power and reseat the bullets?

Tony
Old July 7, 2021, 11:17 PM   #2
kilotanker22

I would do this. I am no expert, but I don't see the primer making much of a difference.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 7, 2021, 11:31 PM   #3
jag2

This is no time to be a primer snob. Load ‘em up using the load you are comfortable with.
Old July 8, 2021, 07:34 AM   #4
hounddawg

I would not use them for match ammo until I tested them, but no problems for plinking
Old July 8, 2021, 08:07 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

If in doubt, load five up and compare them to your “good stuff”. I’ll bet you won’t see a difference.
Old July 8, 2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Paul B.

Just load 'em and shoot 'em. That's what I'd do considering the current shortages.
Paul B.
Old July 8, 2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Refilling them with a "minimum load of 3031" to make some range fodder isn't outside what I would consider safe. Assuming 3031 is a proper propellant for the application (I'm not familiar with it), I think you're good to go.
Old July 8, 2021, 06:24 PM   #8
kilotanker22

3031 is right in the wheelhouse for that cartridge.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 8, 2021, 07:35 PM   #9
sfwusc

No expert but I would use the primers and projectiles. Dump the powder of course.

Question would you reuse the powder if it was marked? The box had the recipe so you knew (or thought you knew) it was say 3031?
Old July 8, 2021, 10:36 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

The rounds are loos in a box with no markings. The cases are various years Lake City. I already pulled one of the bullets to weigh it and it's 55g so that's an easy one to get a load for but the odd thing is they are FMJ round nose or better to say semi pointed but still rounded.

I'm going to get these pulled and reloaded over the next week.

My adult daughter has requested a rage trip for her birthday and I need to have some blasting ammo and I don't care if I loose the brass from this batch. I'll also need to load up some .45acp but that's never a problem...

BTW, I have a can I dump unknown and weird salvaged powder in. Once in a great while, I take it outside after a rain, and burn it off. It's usually mildly entertaining. Even more so if I dump some aluminum filings out of my sander in with it...

Tony

Last edited by Geezerbiker; July 8, 2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old July 8, 2021, 11:29 PM   #11
Geezerbiker

BTW, I counted and including the one I pulled down, I have 114 rounds.

I didn't have the digital scale when I pulled the bullet so I weighed it on my new digital scale and it's 55.12 grains. I got the idea to try the scale in metric mode to see if that weight would come out even but it has an even longer decimal in grams....

Tony
Old July 9, 2021, 08:51 AM   #12
hammered54

.223....55grains....?????
Old July 9, 2021, 12:43 PM   #13
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered54 View Post
.223....55grains....?????
A 55g bullet in .223 Rem is a pretty standard load...
Old July 9, 2021, 12:59 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

I would be willing to at least test a few and see how they do with mild charges of forgiving powder - like 3031, 4895, etc.
Free primers for plinking are better than using up the good stuff.

Quote:
...but the odd thing is they are FMJ round nose or better to say semi pointed but still rounded.
Sounds like the Winchester bulk FMJ, or the old Hornady FMJ.
The Winchesters are very inconsistent; the Hornadys, pretty good.
So, it is probably something in between and totally different.
Old July 9, 2021, 03:43 PM   #15
hammered54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
A 55g bullet in .223 Rem is a pretty standard load...
thought he was referring to the powder charge......my bad.
Old July 9, 2021, 05:23 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

I have seen primer difference documented to make up to 10% pressure difference in 223 with that bullet weight, so I would run a starting load. That's fine for plinking, anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 9, 2021, 05:47 PM   #17
Don Fischer

If your gonna just load up something to pop them, why not just pop them without loading them. Don't know what the primer's are so can not reproduce the load. Just load plinker's and you'll not only waste the primer's but also maybe bullet's and powder. Of course bullet's, primers and powder are replaceable,,,, sort of!
Old July 10, 2021, 03:32 AM   #18
Geezerbiker

These are just going to be range fodder for shooting with my daughter and grandkids so I'm not at all concerned about about reproducing the load and I never planned to use more than the starting load of 3031. I might not even pick up the cases...

If the accuracy with them is only so-so, I don't think it'll make the range trip any less fun...

Tony
Old July 10, 2021, 03:34 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered54 View Post
thought he was referring to the powder charge......my bad.
We all do that sometimes... I won't even get into the miscommunications with my old lady...

Tony
Old August 3, 2021, 10:04 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

Well I have them all pulled down now. It was sad dumping all that powder. I considered weighing it to see if it was consistent from round to round but since I don't know what it is, I didn't bother.

It turns out I have a lot more 4895 than 3031 so I'm going to use it instead. I was hoping maybe I could use Reloader 15 since I have a lot more of that, but it's a bit to slow for a 55g bullet in a .223 Rem load...

Tony
Old August 4, 2021, 12:14 PM   #21
Average Joe

Pull the bullet, dump the powder. Reuse the case and primer, reload with your own powder load, and reseat the bullet..... that's what I would do.
Old August 4, 2021, 04:55 PM   #22
Geezerbiker

That's been the plan all along. I got side tracked on the project and reloading in general when the places I like to shoot were closed for fire danger.

We're having a drought here but I call it a run of nice weather. Anyway the forest service is all freaked out and after the fires we had last year, I do understand. There are stories floating around about a certain group of agitators were starting fires last year. Anyway we need a couple good days of rain to reopen the forest service land.

Tony
Old August 4, 2021, 05:02 PM   #23
Don Fischer

You can re-use the primer's and good chance never duplicate the load again for no other reason than you don't know what the primer's are. So you shoot off 114 rounds of ammo and no clue what you just shot if it works good! You sure it's not military stuff? Are the primers crimped in? If not and I though I wanted to maybe re-use the load I'd scrap the primer's. Otherwise your using not only the primer's but also bullet's and powder for a load you might not re-produce. if re-producing don't matter, go for it!
Old August 5, 2021, 02:50 AM   #24
Geezerbiker

The cases are mostly Lake City military but it's obvious the crimp was removed with a countersink tool.

I plan to shoot off these rounds at a fun shoot with my daughter and grand kids (11~18 years old.) I don't have too many years before the grandkids scatter across the country like dandelions in the wind. I don't think any of use will care if I can't reproduce the load. So long as they all go bang and are safe, we'll be happy.

We're supposed to get some rain soon and hopefully the forest service land will open up again.

Tony
Old August 6, 2021, 06:29 PM   #25
jetinteriorguy

One of the most accurate loads I’ve ever had with 55gr bullets was with RE15, but my go to for light bullets is H335.