The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Which of these is a company making a quality product?

Some may remember I recently asked about which BP models would be based on an 1870 or older design as this would mean any BP rifle bought fitting this criterion, the existing weapons law would not apply.
This means that I could enjoy BP shooting without having to sell a gun I own now, something I would ordinarily have to do, because of storage limits the law imposes.

I have found a BP dealer in the UK and there may be a means of importing a BP rifle into Estonia, but I have no idea which are decent manufacturers.

So which of these are decent?
Ardesa, Artax, Euroarms, Palmetto, Parker Hale, Pedersoli or Pietta.

This stockist includes percussion cap and flintlock designs and I'm leaning toward the former.
Old December 17, 2014, 05:27 AM   #2
kwhi43

Pedersoli
Old December 17, 2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Yup. agree.^^
Old December 17, 2014, 08:38 AM   #4
noelf2

Also agree that Pedersoli is a notch above the rest on the list. I would reconsider flintlock over percussion. Flintlock is a bit more expensive, however, you'll never have to worry about shortage of percussion caps with a flinter. Just my 2p.
Old December 17, 2014, 09:40 AM   #5
DD4lifeusmc

quality

If you are staying in a rifle format
Pedersoli is top of the line of commercial makers.
But don't forget Lyman. still quality, but not as pricey.

Plus there are still a few custom makers of BP rifles here in the States.

If you are going to include pistols / revolvers at anytime then
Pietta and Uberti would be there. With I believe Uberti being a little better.
Old December 17, 2014, 11:51 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pedersoli.
Uberti and Pietta (getting better over the years).
I have the older Parker Hale (made in England).
Lyman Great Plains are GTG.
Old December 17, 2014, 12:52 PM   #7
maillemaker

Quote:
Ardesa, Artax, Euroarms, Palmetto, Parker Hale, Pedersoli or Pietta.
Parker Hale and Euroarms are out of business, though of course you can buy them used. Pedersoli bought out Euroarms and improved the arms. So I would buy a new Pedersoli over a used Euroarms.

The general consensus seems to be that Uberti is somewhat better than Pietta, and in my limited experience (1 Uberti revolver and 4 Piettas) that is true.

Steve
Old December 17, 2014, 01:02 PM   #8
swathdiver

Kaido Ojamma, the inventor of the Kaido conical bullets and runs the international black powder handgun hunters yahoo forum, is from Estonia and recently was instrumental in educating the government which in turn changed the laws regarding bp antique firearms. I'm sure he would be delighted to assist you if you contact him through his website.
Old December 17, 2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Pahoo

Another Pedersoli Response

I have had most of these , in the past but as far as current models, mostly Pedersoli and they are super. I also have a current Uberti and it's a great little rifle. The older Parker Hale was very well made as well. I'm not sure if they are still in business. You did not mention the big- [I] or Investment Arms....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 17, 2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Kaido Ojamma, the inventor of the Kaido conical bullets and runs the international black powder handgun hunters yahoo forum, is from Estonia
Now that is very interesting indeed!!
Will definitely have to look into that!!
Old December 18, 2014, 09:39 AM   #11
maillemaker

Quote:
The older Parker Hale was very well made as well. I'm not sure if they are still in business.
They are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Hale

Steve
Old December 18, 2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Agree, Pedersoli is very high quality, I have a Sharpes made by them. But they do not make any pistols.

Uberti is tops with revolvers, and they make very good reproductions of the 1860 Henry, Winchester 1866 and Winchester 1873 rifles.

Pietta used to be a distant second but they seem to be making better quality now to put them on a par with Uberti.

I bought my EuroArms Remington 1858 back in 1975. It was very good quality. But EuroArms does not exist any more.
Old December 18, 2014, 02:07 PM   #13
maillemaker

Quote:
Agree, Pedersoli is very high quality, I have a Sharpes made by them. But they do not make any pistols.
They make a wide variety of pistols, including a Remington 1858.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns...s/pistols.html

Steve
Old December 18, 2014, 02:14 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

If I look at flintlocks, as recommended earlier, does this mean that I can be pretty sure they are a pre-1870 design?

I seem to recall reading that percussion caps took over about 1820. Correct?
Old December 18, 2014, 02:38 PM   #15
noelf2

I would say yes to that, depending on your location in the world. In the USA I would not say percussion caps "took over" at that time, but they were available. Lots of flintlocks were converted to percussion, and some remained flintlocks into the American Civil War (mostly in the southern states though, where they used whatever they could get). I only mentioned flintlocks to you because I don't know about the availability of percussion caps in your location. It's nice to have a firearm that can go boom with just powder and ball.

Last edited by noelf2; December 18, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old December 18, 2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I only mentioned flintlocks to you because I don't know about the availability of percussion caps in your location.
Nor do I for that matter.

Until a reference earlier about Kaido Ojamma, I didn't even think there was a black powder shooting following here (although, I've since learnt that Kaido does not actually reside in Estonia!).

Then again, I didn't realise that one could buy reloading supplies here either: one of the downsides of not knowing the technical name for different materials in the local tongue. You can't ask about that which you can't name!!
Old December 18, 2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Jim Watson

When the guys here mention the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, consider that although Lyman is a US company, they are importing the guns from someplace in Italy and applying their trademark. I don't remember who is the builder and I don't know if they are sold in the home market.

I don't know your budget or your plans, but consider that the Pedersoli Gibbs target rifle is the only factory made gun competitive in its category.
Note that it shoots a lubricated lead bullet, not a patched ball or overly modern plastic sabot. It's design is probably circa 1865 as other makes of "smallbore" target rifle began to displace the 1860 Whitworths.
Old December 18, 2014, 07:21 PM   #18
Pahoo

Big-[I]

Quote:
I don't remember who is the builder and I don't know if they are sold in the home market.
My current one, is indicating the Big-[I] Investment Arms. Quality is very good. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 19, 2014, 04:28 PM   #19
mykeal

I think you mean Investarm Fabbrica d' Armi.