The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
ckdunn

Remove Mossberg 146B-A Barrel from receiver?

I have a Mossberg 146B-A I am working to restore. The last piece I am fighting with is separating the barrel from the receiver. I finally got the takedown stud removed (I believe it had some rust issues) but I am not sure how to separate the barrel from the receiver.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I don't believe it is threaded, but I am wondering if I have missed something else that will release it.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 11, 2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Pahoo

Great project and welcome aboard !!

First off, welcome aboard. ...

Now then, I just finished a restoration on this very same model and the last missing piece, was the trigger guard. I did not have to remove the barrel. In this restoration process, I got some assist from a Mossberg Forum. I went through BING and just typed "Mossberg Forum". There is more than one so go in and see if they can assist and don't exclude the boys over at RimFire Central. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 14, 2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

To refinish, you don't need to remove the barrel, and if you do, it may effect it's accuracy in the long run, since this is a target rifle, and it is a tight fit. Most all .22 BA rifles are polished with the barrel and receiver together, as it is not practical, nor really a good idea to separate them unless its a must. If I remember right, the takedown stud on the front bottom of the receiver, and the magazine tube throat are both steel, and you can leave them on, just remove the magazine tube, and the barrel band, etc.

On the trigger group, you can just blue the trigger and safety lever, as that is all that will show. I can't remember if there are any aluminum parts in the group, and if there not, the whole assembly can be dropped in a bluing tank (not including the trigger guard).

Tags
146b , mossberg , mossberg 146b