The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2014, 11:36 AM   #51
TailGator

Quote:
Bad things happen quickly. . . The best defense is to be aware of where you are and how to use your surroundings to gain an advantage.

Being ready to shoot someone in the blink of an eye is not a solid plan IMHO.
It is not a solid plan if it is the only response, but a rapid response with a pistol may be part of a solid plan. You seem to be implying that keeping a round chambered means that we are going to blast away at the earliest opportunity. Shooting as the first response is only for keyboard commandos; responsible, trained, thinking people use it as a last resort.

The point that several folks are trying to make is that racking a slide takes a certain small but not infinitesimal amount of time. It may take more or less time in different situations. (Example: If you are carrying a loaf of bread you might throw it down to rack the slide, but if you are carrying a baby you might put it down a bit more gently.) The simple facts of life, acknowledged obliquely by the first sentence of the quote, is that you just aren't going to know until afterwards what that amount of time might cost you.

Every decision you make in life has a risk. When people start asking for zero-risk alternatives in my profession (veterinarian) I remind them that they took a small but measurable risk in driving to my office on public roads to get my advice. You have to decide what risks you want to live with in your life. Best wishes in your quest for a risk balance that you feel good about.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:51 AM   #52
zxcvbob

I have a P3AT, with is almost the same thing as a LCP. I added to pocket clip, and I found that it fits very nicely in the *watch* pocket of my jeans and khakis. The clip hold it in place (not that there's enough room for it to rotate or anything) The handle and the clip shows (shirt tucked in), but unless you really look at it and know what you're looking for, it's not obvious.

I goto church like that and even my wife doesn't notice. She does notice when I carry a concealed k-frame, but she's looking for it (disapprovingly)
Old February 27, 2014, 03:48 PM   #53
eldermike

Quote:
You seem to be implying that keeping a round chambered means that we are going to blast away at the earliest opportunity. Shooting as the first response is only for keyboard commandos; responsible, trained, thinking people use it as a last resort.
I do hope people are not living life ready to quick draw and drop their fellow man dead at their feet at the blink of an eye. But there are keyboard commandos who sure sound like they are. As you posted; shooting a human being is a very last resort thing. And one that will change the rest of your life and impact many others the same way.

There have been those times when I was in a situation where I would chamber a round but later remove that round and go back to my normal mode of carry.
Sometimes I carry a small frame revolver. But most often the LCP.

I just don't see going out the front door as a dangerous thing to do. If I did I would move. There were 1 murders in my home town last year and that was a family thing. Again, if I lived where things were different I might be different in how I approach things. As long as they make Uhaul I can change my need to walk around thinking I might be dead any moment unless I am billy commando.
Old February 27, 2014, 05:11 PM   #54
southjk

OP here. Can we get back to talking about carrying with or without a holster and save the one in the chamber discussion for another thread?

I tried carrying without a holster (safely just around the house) and I just didn't like the way it flopped around in my khaki's front pocket, it prints too much in my jeans front pocket and in my coat pocket I didn't like how it weighs down one side of my coat. I got a Remora holster and that solves the first two problems and I'd only have the coat problem in the winter and it's really not much of a big deal. I could also put it in my waistband with the Remora. I'm really liking this LCP and just wish I could carry at work.
Old February 27, 2014, 08:23 PM   #55
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
That analogy fails. I suppose with that thought you should sleep with a fire extinguisher with the pin pulled? Right? Never eat fish without someone trained in the heimlich and always carry a defibulator with a fully charged battery.

So what is it you are ready for?
Street criminals use the tactics of ambiguity, deception and surprise to seize a position of advantage so their victims cannot react effectively in time.

I've had a knife stuck to my throat by a pair of drug dealers who mistook me for somebody else. That won't happen again.

My wife was robbed at gunpoint.

My family and I witnessed a near fatal stabbing in the parking lot of our local movie theater as we were walking to our car. It happened very quickly. The bad guy closed distance with the victim very fast. (It started as disagreement over who had right of way in the parking lot and suddenly escalated to deadly violence.)

As a victim of an unexpected violent crime I carry a gun in a manner so I can quickly, efficiently, and effectively bring it into action, under stress of life or death, with minimal effort. I'm prepared to start from a position of disadvantage. I don't control my environment - I can only react to it. That's what I'm ready for.

Old February 28, 2014, 11:48 AM   #56
eldermike

Quote:
I tried carrying without a holster (safely just around the house) and I just didn't like the way it flopped around in my khaki's front pocket, it prints too much in my jeans front pocket and in my coat pocket I didn't like how it weighs down one side of my coat. I got a Remora holster and that solves the first two problems and I'd only have the coat problem in the winter and it's really not much of a big deal. I could also put it in my waistband with the Remora. I'm really liking this LCP and just wish I could carry at work.
I don't worry much about printing. I sometimes carry in a back pocket without holster.
Old February 28, 2014, 12:34 PM   #57
southjk

Quote:
I don't worry much about printing. I sometimes carry in a back pocket without holster.
Yeah, it doesn't matter where I live if I do print but I just don't like calling more attention to my carry status if I don't have to.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:37 PM   #58
aarondhgraham

Have you considered a wallet holster?

I'm in the process of getting an LCP,,,
So I'm also looking for the best way for me to carry it.

I want to look at one of the wallet holsters made by DeSantis,,,
I believe Looper Leather also makes a wallet holster.

Google wallet holster for Ruger LCP,,,
There will be several pics show up.

I have no idea what I will use,,,
But I will definitely use a holster of some sort.

Carrying in my pocket just seems to me,,,
Like a recipe for badness to happen.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 28, 2014, 04:54 PM   #59
Spats McGee
Staff

Honestly, if I carried something as small as an LCP, I'd consider the Sneaky Pete holsters.

Anybody use one of those?
Old February 28, 2014, 05:04 PM   #60
Grant D

I have a wallet holster from captain-itch.com that I use once and a while.

It looks like a biker wallet with the chain, and has the holster attached to the back. I hides it real well.