The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 26, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1
mcosborne

Carcano M91 carbine identification/value

Greetings forum members, I've recently been trying to identify an old gun I inherited from my grandpa and came across this site through google, and it seems like a very reliable source. I think the gun is a Carcano M91 cavalry carbine with the bayonet but I just wanted to be sure and to see if anyone is familiar with their value. I'm going to try and post some pictures of it, thanks for any responses

Old June 27, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
tahunua001

definitely a carcano. as for value, I wouldn't even put a value on it. the last time I was at cabelas there was an entire rack of them in the used gun section(well over 2 dozen rifles). many were running from 275-400 dollars depending on condition and caliber(I'd place yours at around 300-350ish). I have not been able to find en bloc clips for them anywhere(reducing them to single feed only) and the only ammo I've been able to find locally was nearly 2 dollars a round(for surplus ammo) there is only 1 or 2 companies out there still making 6.5 carcano ammo(not sure on the 7 carcano availability) and it's steep to say the least.

carcanos were never that big on this side of the pond so all of your resources are going too be limited.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
ronz

Grafs has Prvi Partizan for $15 a box http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/165?
Think I saw the clips listed for sale somewhere recently for a lot less than I thought they would cost
will post where if I run across it again
Looked for years at gun shows could never find any but I got lucky found a couple extra clips at a lgs years back
I would use an empty round to keep the clip in the gun so I didn’t lose it before I found the extra ones also contacted the guy that made the reloads for some of the lgs and he would reload them for me pretty cheap
Old June 27, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
gyvel

Quote:
definitely a carcano. as for value, I wouldn't even put a value on it. the last time I was at cabelas there was an entire rack of them in the used gun section(well over 2 dozen rifles). many were running from 275-400 dollars depending on condition and caliber(I'd place yours at around 300-350ish).
I guess Cabela's is being optimistic. I have yet to see any Carcano that's worth anywhere near what they are asking.

Carcanos in this neck of the woods are $125.00-$200.00 tops. I wish I could get what Cabela's is asking for my Carcanos.

As far as en bloc clips are concerned, there are plenty of them available on such sites as eBay, Gunbroker, etc. Tahunua, I don't know where you live, but clips are common around here.
Old June 28, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5
chiefr

I see Carcano carbines all the time at gunshows and auction sites. Sell price is usually less than $200 "in realville".
Yes, I see people asking more for them and I wish them good luck. On a side note, I enjoy shooting the carcanos. The current 123gr PRVI ammo will shoot OK but groups are huge. These guns were designed to ammo of .268 diameter bullets and 160 grain which is hard to find and expensive. To get the most out of these old rifles reloading is a must. Grafs has .268/160 gr bullets and brass.

Tags
carbine , carcano