The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 20, 2012, 04:56 PM   #26
ltc444

My gunsmith had a similar problem. He built a trap door in the side of his shop. He could open the door and shoot from his shop. The squirrels never learned.
Old June 20, 2012, 05:42 PM   #27
Cornbread

Don’t shoot him . Buy him a bag of salted peanuts.. His blood pressure will kill him. . . . .
And it sounds like he is already using that tactic on you be careful !!
Old June 20, 2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Hansam

Get a squirrel sized live trap such as the Hav-a-hart live traps. Bait with birdseed at the bottom of your bird feeder posts. When the squirrels get caught (and they will) put a .22 in their head and after a bit of gutting and skinning send'em to your freezer. Repeat till you have enough squirrels to have a small feast then invite the neighbors or at least till you no longer have squirrels raiding your bird feeder.

This worked well for me when I lived in the city. It would work for my father-in-law if he didn't idiotically drive a few blocks down the road to the neighborhood park and release them to return to his bird feeder instead of killing them.
Old June 22, 2012, 10:50 AM   #29
FrontSight

Did'ja gehtum yet?
Old June 22, 2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Beagle333

You need bigger birds. A friend of mine brings his hawk over to hunt and when he lets it go, any squirrel in sight is a goner. If it runs into a nest, the hawk will stand on one leg and shred the nest out of the tree til he gets his man.
It's very impressive to watch. (especially since the bird comes back to him, I couldn't believe it til I saw it, I figured it was a one-time deal)