The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 24, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Skans

Why no stainless AR receivers?

I know that at least one company had made some stainless AR lower receivers. I found one on Gunbroker listed at a ridiculous price. So, I was just wondering why no one has set out to make upper and lower receivers out of SS for the AR. This would renew my interest in this platform.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:15 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

What might be the advantage at the higher cost? Would you pay an extra
15k for a stainless steel automobile?
Old May 24, 2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

While I wouldn't buy one, people would I'm sure. Look at all the people out there that refuse to buy Glocks/XDs/ect... because they're not stainless. You may have a good business idea on your hands....
Old May 24, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
mooner

A Delorean AR-15. Hmmm.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Slamfire

Weight and cost.

The lower receiver in a AR simply holds the parts together but it does not carry a significant load. The load of combustion is carried between the bolt and the barrel shroud, both of which are a high grade of steel.

Rifles in which the receiver is a load path, like Mausers, FN/FAL's, Garand, etc, their receivers have to be made of steel and it costs more in material and machining.

I don't see any advantage in increasing weight and cost of an item that does not need it, and the corrosion resistance of stainless is not needed.

Backyard mechanics typically pick stainless steel for applications that don't need corrosion resistance. The Jewel trigger is an example, the internal parts are stainless. The stainless Jewel used does not take a deep heat treat or case so the sear surfaces wears quickly. Obviously who ever picked that material should have been thinking tool steel and hardness
Old May 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #6
RT

Because that would unnecessarily add weight and expense.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Because that would unnecessarily add weight and expense.
I agree, but people will buy anything AR!
Old May 24, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8
rugerdawg

Stainless ar-15 reciever

I believe that DPMS used to offer an investment cast stainless steel lower receiver, but may have discontinued them a few years back. Cost was close to $500
Old May 24, 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
rickyrick

Why not polish the aluminum?
Old May 24, 2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Palmetto-Pride

Why not make it out of platinum so you can really shoot the cost up for no reason........
Old May 24, 2012, 11:36 AM   #11
UtopiaTexasG19

One purpose of a "black gun" is that it does not reflect light well and call attention to one's location. Stainless steel on the other hand....
Old May 24, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Skans

Quote:
One purpose of a "black gun" is that it does not reflect light well and call attention to one's location. Stainless steel on the other hand....
There are plenty of examples of stainless steel coated black.....just like what's done with aluminum. Think American made Cetme or RA M-96 (albeit they are stamped receivers).

The extra weight would compare to the extra weight of some of the "bull barrels" out there. Extra strength can't be denied, even if perceived as unnecessary - I sure would want that SS receiver if I were planning on dropping a Lightning Link or RDIAS in it, or even a belt-fed upper. The little bit of extra weight would be a benefit in .308 AR's.

Last edited by Skans; May 24, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:16 PM   #13
dayman

You could just glue tin-foil to it. Spray paint could also work.
It does seem odd that in a market saturated with both AR mods and Stainless "upgrades", they don't.
It would bridge that gap between mil-spec and cartel-gun.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:50 PM   #14
rugerdawg

While the benefits of such an animal do not seem to appeal to the AR purists. The advantages to a person looking to build a bench type or really heavier barrel the extra strength and weight, not to mention the "bling" factor to those who can afford it just offers another endless option.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:59 PM   #15
RT

They should just build the receivers out of Inconel.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
eldorendo

The ONLY advantage I can think of for manufacturing ARs out of stainless steel would be to have something "interesting" to post on forums like this!!
Old May 25, 2012, 04:35 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

I thought it was because it was not black. I think their is a law stating that AR rifles must be black. They have the same saying as Henry Ford. "It comes in any color you want, as long as that color is black."

All kidding aside. You could just bead blast the lower to make it the same finish as stainless steel. If you do not have the blaster, a sandblasting shop would not charge you much to do the job. There are sandblasting shops all over. Most of the work they do is for body shops.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #18
Crosshair

Why not?

50 BMG Uppers. That's why.

That and as mentioned elsewhere, bench guns.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:09 PM   #19
cannonfire

There is a market for tiger stripped gold Desert Eagles and $300 billet AR receivers. I think there could be a small market for a SS receiver if nothing else for the cool factor
Old May 25, 2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Jimro

If memory serves, DPMS did a run of stainless receivers a few years back, I remember the price being significantly more than forged aluminum, but I was looking to increase the weight/mass for a competition AR.

In the end I passed on the stainless, and pretty much so did the rest of the market. I'm sure you can still find them on the used market.

Jimro
Old May 25, 2012, 10:17 PM   #21
Willie Lowman

Group Ind. made some stainless M16 lowers back in the day.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:24 AM   #22
DFrame

What RT said.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #23
Jimro

Inconel? Really? You expect to need dimensional stability at temperatures that would cause your firearm to melt the skin right off your hands?

Jimro
Old May 26, 2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Ronbo1

I have an old Hesse stainless lower (stainless casting then milled) I use on a bull barrel 24 inch prairie dog DPMS upper and it makes the AR feel not so barrel heavy. Hesse has a poor reputation but this lower is machined perfectly with a Jewell trigger installed. I reload 223 with a 40 grain v-max and the rifle never moves, shoot off of shooting sticks on a aluminum chair, is a beast to carry. Do have some quick release's on the AR and clip it to a GI load bearing vest when walking around shooting dogs.

Picture from PD shooting last week in SD

Close up. do like the extra weight on the bull barrel AR15

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Ronbo1; May 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:20 PM   #25
insomni

a milled steel receiver on an AR would be soooo heavy!