The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 3, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Skadoosh

D.C.’s crime solution: Be a victim

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...n-be-a-victim/

I nearly dropped my laptop when I read this. For example:
Quote:
Mr. Quander thinks victimhood is preferable to self-defense. “The problem is, if you are armed, it escalates the situation,” Mr. Quander told residents. “It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Obviously this man has never been at the mercy of another man. Mr. Quander expects victims to assume all the risk of another's crime. Amazing!
Old March 3, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
C0untZer0

When people don't make gun control an issue in an election, politicians come to power based on their views on other feel-good issues like increased spending on education and increased spending on social programs and strengthening the safety net, etc etc.. but the radical anti-Second Amendment anti-gun attitudes come along with the package and you get politicians who are opposed to individuals solving their own problem on an individual basis.

There are politicians who borrow planks from both parties and may be pro-Second Amendment and have different views on other issues, but for me Second Amendment rights have become the only issue I vote about.

Without knowing it or perhaps without meaning to, Paul Quander has accurately stated the anti-gunner position on this issue. He's verbalizing the core beliefs of Rahm Emanual and Eric Holder and Barack Obama on the issue (but are too clever by far to actually say it).

Last edited by C0untZer0; March 3, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

This is the latest in a series of articles by Ms. Miller. There's more discussion here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464896
Old March 3, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Webleymkv

Sounds like Quander is of the mentality that criminals commit violent crimes not because they're bad people, but because society has let them down somehow. I suspect that Quander thinks that violent criminals don't really want to hurt anyone, but instead are just acting out of desperation due to "economic injustice" or some other such notion. What Quander fails to realize is that many violent criminals really are bad people who really do want to hurt someone and simply handing over your wallet while cowering in fear cannot be guaranteed to satisfy their nefarious urges.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Sparks1957

Quote:
D.C.’s crime solution: Be a victim
Brilliant advice! Having been robbed twice in my life, in the days before I carried, I refuse to play the role of the helpless victim again.

Clearly, this person has never been a crime victim. It would be interesting to see if his views change if he or a loved one were at the mercy of a criminal one day.
Old March 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
C0untZer0

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
For people who have been brutalized, they will tell you that it is a cataclysmic event in their life and for the most part there is no pursuit of happiness when you're suffering from the psychological damage that an attack causes.

The anti-gun positions are built on piles of erroneous beliefs to begin with - one of these erroneous assertions is that if you just give the robber what they want – they go away, which ignores many decades of documented cases where criminals have slaughtered their victims after they have robbed them.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

There is no liberty nor pursuit of happiness when your life has been taken from you. It seems like a simple concept – but it’s obviously one that anti-gunners cannot grasp or refuse to acknowledge
Old March 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
357 Python

Gun Control = Victim Control
When are we going to get viable Criminal Control?
Old March 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
saltydog452

It would be counter productive to shoot a potential voter.

sd.
Old March 3, 2012, 02:19 PM   #9
ronniel

I have kept a cc permit for over 30 years, and thankful that Ive never been in a situation to even think about using my gun. but it makes me angry that the way our "justice " system seems to work now days is to protect the crimenal , which leaves me more worried about being the one facing crimanal charges if I ever did have to protect myself or family . as a law abiding citizen 69 years old, never been in trouble with the law, worked hard for what little i have, and have to be afraid to protect it because of the law ? some thing aint right...yeah we'vecome a long way baby
Old March 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10
lawnboy

Everyone today is a capitalist. It's just that the capital of value for some is the power over individuals.

If your capital is power over individuals, then individuals who have the capability to fight are merely an untapped market.

It's not fear of violence or of the unknown that motivates gun grabbers. It's lust for power.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 3, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Mr. Quander thinks victimhood is preferable to self-defense. “The problem is, if you are armed, it escalates the situation,” Mr. Quander told residents. “It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
What a bizarre sentiment. Having a gun won't keep you from being a victim. In fact, gun owners are increasingly victims of crimes. Just because you can fight back and maybe keep the bad guy from being successful in his intended crime does not mean that you haven't been the victim of a crime. You may be the victim of robbery or attempted robbery, rape or attempted rape, murder or attempted murder.

As for escalating the situation, yep. When you are at the end of another's weapon and that person is making demands, introducing your own weapon definitely escalates the situation to evening the the force continuum between parties.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Patriot86

I think they need to spray glue 100 dollar bills to Mr. Deputy Mayor and drop him in the worst D.C. Neighborhood @ 2AM on the week before the public assistance checks arrive and see how much he likes being a victim. Being from the Chicago area I am used to dumb out of touch statements by politicians but this has to be by FAR the worst thing I have ever seen come out of an elected officials mouth. My solution is to be the sheep dog, not the sheep. If Mr. Deputy mayor wants to be a victim be my guest, just don't expect your constituents to follow you down that same misguided road.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
lawnboy

You could just have him go without his normal protection detail for a few days and accomplish the same thing

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 3, 2012, 09:22 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

"escalates the situation..." Apparently there is more paperwork the police have to fill out if you defend yourself than there is if you don't....

This reminds me of a quote from a number of years back, from a CA police official. I think it was LA, but no longer remember the place, or the man, and am too lazy to search for it....but I do remember what he said, commenting after a string of home robberies (again, Hollywood, I think, but...)

He actually publically advocated for people to "not keep their valuables at home..."

Personally, my tv won't fit in a safe deposit box, and would be real tough to watch, if it did....
Old March 3, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
TXAZ

Wow, hard to believe he would say that, being in the business he's in. Interesting comment from the officer. Even more interesting as both his home and work addresses are readily available on-line.... Isn't that akin to saying 'hey, I'm ready to be a victim, come rob my home!'

Oh well. If he was in Texas, he'd have a legit Castle Doctrine to encourage burglars think twice...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 4, 2012, 06:38 PM   #16
shortwave

I'm thinking it so I'm gonna say it...

Wonder if Mr Quander would say/feel the same if GOD forbid his mother,daughter, wife , girlfriend or for that matter,he himself were about to be raped and someone with a gun was there to stop it?

I can hear him now,
"don't shoot the BG, we'll heal"...

...and we wonder why places like D.C., California and NYC have the gun laws they do. There really are people(morons) out there that think just as Quander does.

This guy is just another typical political 'big wig' that's never been a victim and doesn't ever think he or his family can be.

The flip side of the coin:

Much of Perry Co. Ohio is country living. Homes spread out and LE response time laughable at best. There has been a string of home invasions throughout the county. The Sheriff was on the news encouraging people to keep their doors locked, stay alert and stay armed.

I believe one of his exact statements were, "they(BG's) are going to eventually break into the wrong house. Then we'll find out who they are".

Last edited by shortwave; March 4, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
“It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Three words, Mr. Quander:

Petit + home + invasion

Dr. William Petit was injured -- severely. He didn't walk away -- he crawled. He healed, but my fuzzy recollection is that he can no longer practice his specialty due to neurological damage that interferes with performing surgery.

Replace what was taken away? That would be his wife and his two teen-aged daughters. How should he go about replacing them, Mr. Quander?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshir...vasion_murders
Old March 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #18
wncchester

"Quander thinks victimhood is preferable to self-defense."

Quander's pointed suggestion, in effect, to roll into a fetal ball, cry a lot and whine "Please don't hurt me too bad!" is beneath the dignity of a free man (or woman) who possesses a means of defense and the courage to use it. But what does a statist liberal know about dignity, all they can do is whine about group 'rights' rather than individual responsibities.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:02 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

"Die if you must, but never fight back"....

Some people actually think that makes them morally superior. Perhaps they are. But often they are just dead.

And I don't see how being dead is morally superior...to anything. Rather the opposite, in my opinion.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
“It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Or, in other words, "If rape is inevitable, lay back and enjoy it!" Had Mr. Quander uttered those words, his head would be up on a pike right next to Rush Limbaugh's!

Where's the barf smiley when you really need it?
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 6, 2012, 11:11 PM   #21
Crazy88Fingers

This is the same line of thought that told people to remain seated while hijackers take over the plane. Thankfully that's no longer the SOP. Unfortunately it took the gravest terrorist attack on US soil to finally get people to take an active interest in their own well-being.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:57 AM   #22
bumnote

I live outside DC, in Virginia. Thankfully that ban on firearms in the 70's has made Washington DC the safest city in America, it's hell living south of the Potomic in a state where the bad guys will at least think twice about breaking into your home.
There's been a rash of thefts in DC this year with crooks stealing iPhones, etc. and the Police Chief's advice (at first) to people was to hide their phones. Sage advice indeed. Then things escalated and the mugging involved knives and guns, then press reports pointed out there had been over 600 muggings for 2012 before the month of February had ended. Then they finally had to do something. The city is a mess on almost every conceivable level, but they get what they elect.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:57 PM   #23
brickeyee

Quote:
I live outside DC, in Virginia. Thankfully that ban on firearms in the 70's has made Washington DC the safest city in America, it's hell living south of the Potomic in a state where the bad guys will at least think twice about breaking into your home.
And we are awash in guns in Virginia.

And now have 'shall issue' CHPs.

Some of the naysayers in the state have even admitted their claims of "blood in the streets" was wrong.
Imagine that.
Old March 7, 2012, 01:22 PM   #24
shortwave

Quote:
The city is a mess on almost every conceivable level

Just saw the other day a news-clip out of DC where a guy was walking his dog, neighbor came out and an argument ensued over dog-poop. Yes,dog-poop. One stabbed the other with a knife.

I think there should be a ban on all knives except plasticware.... or maybe ball bats and golf clubs.
Has anyone ever been assaulted/killed in DC with a golf club???

Since DC is the laughing stock to the rest of the nation in sooo many ways, would it be possible to opt for a new location for our capital?

Last edited by shortwave; March 7, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old March 7, 2012, 05:47 PM   #25
Nnobby45

Quote:
Since DC is the laughing stock to the rest of the nation in sooo many ways, would it be possible to opt for a new location for our capital?
You'd be importing/exporting the same liberal philosophy.

Better to let them stand where they are and be a source of embarassment for the liberal establishment. From Mayor Berry all the way thru to present day and beyond.