The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2010, 07:34 AM   #1
woody wood

hi viz or williams sights for ruger revolver?

any advice on fiber optic sights for my revolvers?
i have a super readhawk 7.5,an alaskan, and a gp100-all have
original sights with adjustable rear.
looking to upgrade.
need advice on what is best and if they all can be installed by myself with out special tools?some state gunsmith required,im somewhat handy,and have changed out trigger groups on other guns.
mainly looking for what brand is better product.
thanks!
Old August 20, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

WOODY... I'm doing the same myself right now on several guns... I'm putting on the Williams fiber optic ghost ring rear sight ( requires a custom base be made for the gun ) & then several different types of front sights...( including making my own, where I can't find what I'm looking for )

for my non custom Dan Wessons, I ordered front sights from CZ USA

https://shop.cz-usa.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=20039

for my S&W N Frame I got a SDM...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=686396

so far I've only found one for the Alaskan ( you know the Alaskan uses a different "pinned" sight that the Super Redhawks ??? ) which is a HiViz, but is plastic ( & I'm not sure I want a plastic base front sight on my 454 Alaskan )

http://www.hivizsights.com/RA2010-Ru...n-P184C10.aspx

so far it's looking like I'm going to have to have 3 or 4 custom made, & I'll be using these lite pipes for my custom front sights...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=772409

BTW... if anyone knows someone else making a steel fiber optic front base for the Alaskans... please let me know...
Old August 20, 2010, 09:20 AM   #3
woody wood

thanks, wheel man
ya i was looking for metal fiber optic sights-i did notice the only one for
alaskan is plastic!hmmm ill think about that.my father is a machinist-so may
need him to help out.sounds like we may live in same area-wonder if gander mountian has some advice? or are therir gunsmiths no good?i hate to pay someone for something i can do-and honestly i have not even looked to see
how to replace sights-im sure its not a big deal.

any one else that has a prefered product?
Old August 20, 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a retired tool & die guy that is one of my buddies, so I guess I'm pretty lucky when it comes to custom stuff...

changing out the Super Redhawk / GP-100 style sight should be something most people can do... changing out the pinned sights is tougher, because I don't think any are drilled for the pin hole, & the hole is smaller than most drill bits the average guy has... I'd think the hole on the barrel could be used as a drill guide to start / mark the front sight, then remove it & finish drilling the hole... doing so is probably something a guy who is pretty handy could do... if you don't mind doing work on tiny parts...

actually making front sights doesn't look too tough either, as long as you had the proper tools...

I think the Burnsville Gander Mountain is one of the closest ( or at least the one I seem to go to the most often )... I think there may be one in Rochester, but I don't know if I've ever been to that one... I've spoken to the gun smith from the Burnsville store,& he seemed pretty compitant, but I've heard some horror storys in the past about chain store gun smiths, who couldn't install scope bases straight & true, so I guess I'd at least talk to them, before handing over my gun...

if your dad is a machinist, maybe it's a project you guys could do together ???
Old August 20, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
woody wood

wheel man-i work close to the burnsville store and have talked to them-prices seem high but never check their gunsmith.
by the way-where do you shoot in the area-im looking for an outdoor range open to public or has open membership or even someone with land.like my mother said when i was a kid
"its too nice out to be inside"

if you need any machining help-my father works at a small local shop,and
also has his own cnc mill and lathe at his home.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Sounds like you dad is all set up to help you out...

I live on a farm, "down south" ( close to where I-35 & I-90 cross ) I just go to the "cities" a couple times a month for meetings, as well as have relatives there...

I have my own 300 yard rifle & pistol range on the farm, so I can't make any recommendations there...